The Trans Characters That Changed TV and Film
BY Matt Kane of GLAAD
November 19 2012 1:30 PM ET
Boys Don’t Cry (1999)
The murder of Brandon Teena and his friends remains one of the most tragic hate crimes of the last several decades, but relatively few people knew Brandon’s story until Kimberly Peirce adapted it into the scripted film Boys Don’t Cry in 1999. Hilary Swank took home an Oscar for her portrayal of Brandon, and millions finally learned who he was, six years after his death.
- Leslie Jordan Banishes Antigay Starbucks Patrons: 'Get Out of My House!'
- Op-ed: The Far-Reaching Consequences of Dating App Racism
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Omar Sharif Jr. Featured on Arabic TV News
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- Living Trans, From Iran to New York City