The Trans Characters That Changed TV and Film
BY Matt Kane of GLAAD
November 19 2012 1:30 PM ET
Boys Don’t Cry (1999)
The murder of Brandon Teena and his friends remains one of the most tragic hate crimes of the last several decades, but relatively few people knew Brandon’s story until Kimberly Peirce adapted it into the scripted film Boys Don’t Cry in 1999. Hilary Swank took home an Oscar for her portrayal of Brandon, and millions finally learned who he was, six years after his death.
- Newly Out Fox Contributor Isn't Very Concerned About Gay Rights
- Out NYC Owners Call Gays 'Cheap,' 'Entitled' In Disastrous Interview
- Op-ed: When Right vs. Left Becomes Right vs. Wrong
- 9 Celebs Who Learned the Hard Way the T-Word Is Over
- The Films of the 26th Annual Honolulu Rainbow Film Festival
- Could National Marriage Equality Mean the End of Gay Culture?