The Trans Characters That Changed TV and Film
BY Matt Kane of GLAAD
November 19 2012 1:30 PM ET
HBO produced this scripted film about a Midwestern factory worker who comes out as transgender. Tom Wilkinson stars as husband Roy, who announces he is transitioning into Ruth. Though she’s initially shocked, wife Irma (Jessica Lange) eventually decides to stand by Ruth despite rejection by members of their community. Both Wilkinson and Lange were nominated for Emmys and Golden Globes for their roles in the film.
- Bruce Jenner Ends Speculation, Comes Out as Transgender Woman
- Reba McEntire: First Time I Saw a Reba Drag Queen 'It Really Ticked Me Off'
- Ted Cruz/OUT NYC Fallout: Broadway Cares Cancels Benefit at Hotel
- Op-ed: Michfest's Founder Chose to Shut Down Rather Than Change With the Times
- 7 Lessons in How (And How Not) to Interview Trans People
- Gay High-Schooler Gets Date for Prom — With Straight Best Friend