Lesbian Writer Eloise Klein Healy Named First Poet Laureate of Los Angeles
BY Daniel Reynolds
December 07 2012 4:32 AM ET
The Suicide's Numbers
I subtract the dates using pencil and paper
because it’s one take away eight,
eight take away five and the calculation
involves borrowing. I’m too tired.
to do this mentally tonight and even more,
I can’t believe she was only twenty-two.
So I run the numbers again, and yes
she definitely was a very young woman,
her body in the portraits smooth
as a fine-grained print.
She was on to something, she was
beyond technique or costume or the body.
The geometries she captured
would intoxicate a snowflake
with their patterns, with their quick array.
Was she as wise as everybody said?
Or could it be she was falling
from such a great height
and casting every which way to capture
her vision that she hit the ground
before her shadow let her know?
Was that ache caught by her lens
somewhere near the frame
herself intruding or herself escaping?
at the age of 22. Her photographs are collected in Francesca Woodman.
- Parenting What's in My Dad Bag? 36 min 43 sec ago
- Politics Timeline: When Executive Orders Came First? 1 hour 37 min ago
- Current Issue One Issue Still Bucks The Trend for LGBT Equality 2 hours 36 min ago
- Commentary Op-ed: 'License to Discriminate' Bills Will Keep Coming 4:00 AM
- Women Ellen's Oscars' Selfie Gets Simpson-ized! March 06 2014 7:56 PM
- Travel General Motors Hopes to Impress You at Mammoth Gay Ski Week March 06 2014 7:24 PM
- Women WATCH: American Idol's Out Contestant MK Nobilette Does 'Drops of Jupiter' March 06 2014 7:18 PM