Part 4: Our Hall of Fame
BY Advocate Contributors
March 28 2012 11:16 AM ET
Roseanne Barr's real-life gay brother and lesbian sister were what inspired her to fight with producers and network executives to include realistic portrayals on her hit television sitcom. And so Leon marries his partner, Scott; Sandra Bernhard plays Roseanne's bisexual best friend, and Roseanne threatened to switch networks when some called for the episode "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" to be skipped because it included her kissing another woman. Roseanne was named The Advocate's Person of the Year in 1994.
- The New 'Republicans Are People Too' Twitter Campaign Is An Epic Fail
- California Becomes First State to Ban Gay, Trans 'Panic' Defenses
- Read This Mich. Democrat's Epic Response to Antigay Group's 'Pile of Excrement'
- WATCH: Ariz. High School Throws Out Ballots for Lesbian Homecoming Couple
- Op-ed: What Barney Frank Still Gets Wrong on ENDA
- GLAAD Issues Record Number of 'Excellent' Ratings for TV Networks