Part 4: Our Hall of Fame
BY Advocate Contributors
March 28 2012 10:16 AM ET
Roseanne Barr's real-life gay brother and lesbian sister were what inspired her to fight with producers and network executives to include realistic portrayals on her hit television sitcom. And so Leon marries his partner, Scott; Sandra Bernhard plays Roseanne's bisexual best friend, and Roseanne threatened to switch networks when some called for the episode "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" to be skipped because it included her kissing another woman. Roseanne was named The Advocate's Person of the Year in 1994.
- 5 James Baldwin Quotes That Foreshadowed Ferguson
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Another Lap for Michael Phelps’s Self-Proclaimed Girlfriend
- Texas AG: Same-Sex Couples' Request to Marry 'Untimely, Out of Order'
- Why the Mississippi Marriage Win Is Our Most Important Yet
- Meet This Year's 'Prime Time 25'