Part 5: Our Hall of Fame
BY Advocate Contributors
March 28 2012 2:00 AM ET
Dave Kopay tried to fit the profile of a squeaky-clean, all-American football player, and for the most part, he did. Kopay was a star at Notre Dame High School in Los Angeles and was recruited to play at the University of Washington. As co-captain of the Huskies, Kopay led his team to the Pac-10 conference title, and he was named an All-American running back. Kopay was drafted by the San Francisco 49ers in 1964, and led the team in rushing yards in his rookie year. He dated girls and even married a woman, but Kopay knew he was gay.
Kopay was later recruited by the Washington Redskins under legendary NFL coach Vince Lombardi, whose brother was gay. The team's assistant general manager and the sport's information director were also gay. Kopay had dated tight end Jerry Smith, a 13-year veteran of the Redskins who later died due to AIDS in the 1980s.
Kopay retired in 1973. Two years later, a frustrated Kopay read an anonymously sourced article about gay athletes and decided it was time. He became the first NFL player to come out and gave an interview to The Advocate in 1976. He later wrote The David Kopay Story, a best-seller in 1977. Though he did apply for coaching jobs in the NFL and college football, Kopay said he largely believes he was turned away because of his sexual orientation.
Since then, Kopay has been working in his family's business while remaining a voice for gay athletes. Only a handful of professional athletes have come out since Kopay, but his story endures as more young athletes look to his example and guidance in their own coming out.
- Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT
- A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World
- Schumer Admits Reason He Left Gays Out of Immigration 'Provides Little Comfort'
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Op-ed: My Life as a Gay Boy Scout
- Harvey Milk Day Has Group Worried About 'Indoctrinating' Kids
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Youth Harvey Milk Day Has Group Worried About 'Indoctrinating' Kids 11 min 5 sec ago
- Theater See Which Hunk Won the 2013 Broadway Beauty Pageant 14 min 51 sec ago
- Politicians Harvey Milk Day: First Park in Nation Named for Rights Pioneer 27 min 44 sec ago
- Entertainment News Karl Lagerfeld's Cat Has A Better Life Than You 1 hour 1 min ago
- Health News AIDS Deaths Plummet In Africa 1 hour 4 min ago
- Military PHOTOS: Shirtless, Sweaty Naval Academy Freshman Climb Greased Obelisk 1 hour 14 min ago
- Women WATCH: Amy Schumer and Amber Tamblyn Watch Porn and Make Out 1 hour 27 min ago