WATCH: Celebrities Wish Happy 45th Anniversary
BY Advocate.com Editors
April 11 2012 7:10 PM ET
Out performers such as Sean Maher, Ross Mathews, and Bruce Vilanch were joined by allies such as attorney Gloria Allred, GCB star Mark Deklin, and Traci Lords in celebrating The Advocate's 45th anniversary.
The gala event, hosted by Mathews and featuring a performance by Macy Gray, was held in Los Angeles on March 29. On the red carpet prior to the beginning of the party, many celebrities walked the red carpet to acknowledge the impact of the publication and offer warm greetings for the milestone anniversary. Among them was Pat Rocco, a pioneering gay filmmaker, who flew in from Hawaii to be saluted as one The Advocate's Hall of Fame honorees, and recalled the early days of the publication. Betty DeGeneres attended to help pay tribute to her daughter Ellen, who was also honored in the magazine's Hall of Fame, as was Donna Deitch, director of Desert Hearts. Comedian Tommy Davidson shared that he attended the event to support his lesbian daughter. Actor Maher joked that we don't look a day over 39. Others who offered good wishes include Rev. Troy Perry, actresses Traci Lords and Renee Olstead, as well as popular comic actor Drew Droege.
Watch the video salutes below below.
- Why Can't We Talk About Homophobia in the Black Community?
- Vatican Official Calls Irish Marriage Vote 'Defeat for Humanity'
- PHOTOS: International Mr. Leather Weekend
- WATCH: Out Musician Mika Shares Video for 'Good Guys,' a Bittersweet Homage to Gay Men
- The Cities LGBTs Love And the Ones We Shun
- San Diego Mourns Third Trans Teen to Die by Suicide