BY Advocate Contributors
November 26 2009 12:00 AM ET
What catches your eye?
Another eye ... an "off" scene ... a bad guy seducing someone ... animals ... a beautiful guy in an ugly place ... smell of sex.
How do you choose your subjects?
They need to represent freedom. When my subject is a guy, he’s probably a lover or a friend to be. If it is an object, it’s usually something that attracted me by being incorrect or out of place.
How do you describe your work?
Polemic ... sometimes disturbing ... open-minded ... makes people think about their own limits, to make them put in a little work themselves. My work is active. It's alive.
What makes a good photograph to you?
An image that I will remember for the rest of my life ... something that I want to own.
Who are your favorite artists? And why?
I'm not sure if I have a favorite artist. I appreciate art as an expression of the moment we live. Every period in our history has amazing artists who we can look at today as symbols of their time.
I do like when an artist gives us a key to open new doors in our minds. We, as artists, are the ones that should guide other people to new understandings.
To mention a few: Felix Gonzalez-Torres ... Duane Michals ... Sebastião Salgado ... Ruven Afanador. They all inspire me with the intensity of their images and their messages.
- Meet the 2013 Point Foundation Scholars
- Filipino Archbishop Says Gay Men and Lesbians Can Marry — Each Other
- R&B Singer Monifah Carter Talks About Her Journey as a Lesbian in the Music Industry
- President Obama Adresses LGBT Rights in Berlin Speech
- Op-ed: How Animated Shows Like Futurama Can Unite Us All
- PHOTOS: Marry Me in Maine
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Religion Filipino Archbishop Says Gay Men and Lesbians Can Marry — Each Other 1 hour 46 min ago
- Travel Drag Racing in Jerusalem 2 hours 22 min ago
- Crime Police Seek Suspects Who Vandalized Chick-fil-A With Antigay Slurs 2 hours 24 min ago
- Women Martina Navratilova, Billie Jean King Among First Inductees to Gay and Lesbian Sports Hall of Fame 2 hours 50 min ago
- Entertainment News Dolce & Gabbana Sentenced To Jail 6:20 PM
- Politicians President Obama Adresses LGBT Rights in Berlin Speech 4:59 PM
- Entertainment News Should Brazil Legalize 'Conversion' Therapy? 3:42 PM