BY Advocate.com Editors
December 18 2009 7:55 PM ET
Grassroots equality organization FAIR (Freedom Action Inclusion Rights) teamed with deviantART, an online viral art community, to sponsor an art contest based on graphic remixes of Shepard Fairey’s renowned marriage equality poster Defend Equality Love Unites last November. The contest generated over 1,600 submissions, making it one of deviantART’s most popular contests ever.
"It was fascinating to watch the community's reaction to the topic,” says CEO Angelo Sotira. “It generated more comments than any other contest we've done with red-hot discussion of the different points of view on equal marriage rights, frequently extreme in either direction. I was happy to see that many of the threads started to meet in the middle someplace. The theme 'Love Unites' really worked in the end."
The contest is to be judged by FAIR and Fairey, with the winner to be announced in January 2010.
Another Symbol Same Means
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Youth WATCH: It Already Got Better for This Colorado Student 11 min 23 sec ago
- Women Kaitlyn Hunt Refuses Plea, Heads to Court Over Same-Sex High School Relationship 21 min 8 sec ago
- Politics Ukrainian LGBT Pride Event Blocked 37 min 20 sec ago
- Sports MMA Fighter in First Fight Since Revealing Gender Transition 1 hour 9 min ago
- Women Op-Ed: Remembering Sakia Gunn: the News Coverage and Homophobic Murder 1 hour 42 min ago
- Politics Puerto Rico House Approves Antidiscrimination Bill 1 hour 50 min ago
- Entertainment News Week in Geek: Star Trek Actor Gets Wet and Naked, Justice League, and More 2 hours 38 min ago