BY Advocate.com Editors
December 18 2009 6:55 PM ET
Grassroots equality organization FAIR (Freedom Action Inclusion Rights) teamed with deviantART, an online viral art community, to sponsor an art contest based on graphic remixes of Shepard Fairey’s renowned marriage equality poster Defend Equality Love Unites last November. The contest generated over 1,600 submissions, making it one of deviantART’s most popular contests ever.
"It was fascinating to watch the community's reaction to the topic,” says CEO Angelo Sotira. “It generated more comments than any other contest we've done with red-hot discussion of the different points of view on equal marriage rights, frequently extreme in either direction. I was happy to see that many of the threads started to meet in the middle someplace. The theme 'Love Unites' really worked in the end."
The contest is to be judged by FAIR and Fairey, with the winner to be announced in January 2010.
Another Symbol Same Means
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- Blogger: Salvation Army No Friend to LGBT Folks
- PHOTOS: India's Supreme Court Reinstates Sodomy Ban
- WATCH: Trailer for the Wachowskis' Jupiter Ascending Premieres Online
- 10 Snarky Quotes That Will Make You Miss Michael Kors on Project Runway
- The Many Faces of LGBT Family
- Women WATCH: Kim Stolz's Ridiculously Beautiful Wedding Video 13 min 22 sec ago
- Politics N.J. Legislature Could Enshrine Marriage Equality into State Law 30 min 27 sec ago
- Transgender Coalition Still Short in Bid to Repeal Calif. Trans Student Law 38 min 59 sec ago
- Religion Blogger: Salvation Army No Friend to LGBT Folks 1 hour 4 min ago
- Film WATCH: Trailer for the Wachowskis' Jupiter Ascending Premieres Online 1 hour 7 min ago
- Travel PHOTOS: Happy Gay People on Beaches 1 hour 40 min ago
- Media Michelle Malkin Sells Twitter Aggregator to Christian Media Company 1 hour 43 min ago