BY Advocate.com Editors
December 25 2009 10:00 AM ET
Why are you a photographer?
I love art — creating, collaboration, documentation, and the idea of capturing a moment in time, frozen forever.
What catches your eye?
Light. People. Faces. Interactions. Simplicity.
How do you choose your subjects?
Generally, when I choose my subjects, I choose them because of what I see in them. It's always something different. It could be a jawline, a tattoo, a scar, their wardrobe, or their hairstyle. I'm not the type of photographer that has to see something in someone's eyes or needs someone to be classically beautiful or strange. People are always changing and can easily become someone different in front of the lens.
How do you describe your work?
My work is always evolving. Presently, I would describe my work as honest and minimal with simple light.
What makes a good photograph to you?
A good photograph is one that makes the viewer stop. One that piques the viewer's interest and makes them feel something, anything.
Who are your favorite artists? And why?
There are so many, and for so many different reasons. Off the top of my head, I would say Irving Penn for his straightforward approach to portraits and use of natural light. Paul P for his watercolors, which are just so beautiful. Hedi Slimane for his black-and-white images with their crisp lines and high contrast. Robert Mapplethorpe for his truthful portraits. Collier Schorr for her ability to bring forth her subjects' feelings with seeming ease.
- WATCH: Rep. Polis's Epic Blowup on House Floor Over Immigration
- WATCH: Colo. Baker Who Refused Gay Wedding Cake Appears In Court
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- Op-ed: Stop Judging Tom Daley and Dustin Lance Black
- Is The GOP Discriminating Against Its Gay Candidates?
- Op-ed: Don't Worry, Tom Daley's Getting Biphobic Tweets, Too
- Entertainment News Sam Champion Receives Emotional Send-Off From Good Morning America 2 min 31 sec ago
- Style Model Watch: Learn How To Charm The Camera With Marc Buckner 33 min 20 sec ago
- Election Is The GOP Discriminating Against Its Gay Candidates? 1 hour 7 min ago
- Travel Out Traveler Awards: Best Queer Cruise Excursion? 1 hour 10 min ago
- Military Louisiana National Guard Will Extend Partner Benefits 1 hour 20 min ago
- Politics WATCH: Rep. Polis's Epic Blowup on House Floor 1 hour 21 min ago
- Election Chris Christie Gets Heat for Backing Oklahoma's Governor 1 hour 28 min ago