Artist Spotlight: Michael Rowe
BY Albert Smith
April 17 2010 1:20 AM ET
Artist Statement for Michael Rowe:
Jamaican-born photographer who now lives and works in New York City. I fell in love with photography in high school and purchased my first camera at a secondhand store for $80. After graduation with a BFA from Syracuse University, I moved to NYC, where I worked in the photography biz selling and editing photography. I am inspired by light and form. As a photographer, light is the key factor for me in creating and transforming a simple subject into a work of art.
Why are you a photographer?
I love all forms of art, but photography is my passion — it's how I express myself. Photography allows me to capture all the beauty I see, to create memories, to tell a story.
What catches your eye?
Wow! So many things. Light, colors, faces, places. I live in NYC, so I am constantly visually stimulated every minute of the day.
How do you choose your subjects?
When I do get to choose my subject, I tend to choose what attracts me, physical beauty. Amazing faces and bodies. Call me shallow.
How do you describe your work?
Creative! Bold! Expressive! I love to capture images in creative ways. I use light, form, volume, color, and composition to create impact.
What makes a good photograph to you?
A great photograph will make me stop, stare, and think — it evokes an emotion.
Who are your favorite artists? And why?
So many, but two come to mind at the moment. Gordon Parks, a true artist. His images are some of the most evocative images I have seen. His work with Life magazine and the FSA work are truly outstanding. He used his photography to not only tell a story but to change lives and inspire. Richard Avedon — one of the most influential photographers of our times. From fashion to portraits, his work is truly inspirational.
- Women Out Musician Soko On Being a Part of 'First Kiss' Viral Video 38 sec ago
- Arts & Entertainment EXCLUSIVE: Elton John's Las Vegas Performance of 'Benny and the Jets' 52 min 58 sec ago
- Sports Brooklyn Nets Stick with Jason Collins 1 hour 1 min ago
- Television Billy Eichner: Wants to Marry Meryl Streep & Get Down With Judi Dench 1 hour 4 min ago
- HIV & AIDS HIV 101: Does Being Positive Mean I Have to Stop Having Sex? 1 hour 20 min ago
- Arts & Entertainment EXCLUSIVE: Neil Patrick Harris, Behind the Shoot 2 hours 27 min ago
- HIV & AIDS Why Are a Higher Percentage of Native Americans Dying from AIDS Complications Than Any Other Group? 9:10 AM