Artist Spotlight: Joe Lally
BY Albert Smith
July 31 2010 5:00 AM ET
Why are you a photographer?
I have a fondness for capturing beauty, like a butterfly collection — beauty under glass and unobtainable.
What catches your eye?
The combination of physical beauty and a mystery in the eyes.
How do you choose your subjects?
They must have a hypnotic appeal, drawing in the senses.
How do you describe your work?
I am influenced by the cinema of Luchino Visconti, how he used beauty with dramatic tension.
What makes a good photograph to you?
One that you want to spend more than 10 seconds with.
Who are your favorite artists? And why?
I like Helmut Newton: beauty but with an edge
- WATCH: Ireland's New Marriage Equality Ad Will Give You Goosebumps
- Pa. Students Allegedly Throw 'Anti-Gay Day,' Write 'Lynch List'
- World Goes Bonkers On Antigay Michigan Repairman
- Bryan Cranston: 'End This Silliness' of Opposing Marriage Equality
- Michigan Trans Teen Skater's Suicide Rocks Roller Derby Community
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers