Artist Spotlight: Joe Lally
BY Albert Smith
July 31 2010 5:00 AM ET
Why are you a photographer?
I have a fondness for capturing beauty, like a butterfly collection — beauty under glass and unobtainable.
What catches your eye?
The combination of physical beauty and a mystery in the eyes.
How do you choose your subjects?
They must have a hypnotic appeal, drawing in the senses.
How do you describe your work?
I am influenced by the cinema of Luchino Visconti, how he used beauty with dramatic tension.
What makes a good photograph to you?
One that you want to spend more than 10 seconds with.
Who are your favorite artists? And why?
I like Helmut Newton: beauty but with an edge
- San Diego Mourns Third Trans Teen to Die by Suicide
- Teen Jerusalem Pride Marcher Dies From Stabbing
- Op-ed: Why I Unfriended My Mother
- Greg Louganis on Caitlyn Jenner: 'We All Have Our Own Journeys'
- Texas Gay Man, 32, Dies in Custody After Being Denied Medication
- The True Meaning of the Word 'Cisgender'