Artist Spotlight: Joe Lally
BY Albert Smith
July 31 2010 5:00 AM ET
Why are you a photographer?
I have a fondness for capturing beauty, like a butterfly collection — beauty under glass and unobtainable.
What catches your eye?
The combination of physical beauty and a mystery in the eyes.
How do you choose your subjects?
They must have a hypnotic appeal, drawing in the senses.
How do you describe your work?
I am influenced by the cinema of Luchino Visconti, how he used beauty with dramatic tension.
What makes a good photograph to you?
One that you want to spend more than 10 seconds with.
Who are your favorite artists? And why?
I like Helmut Newton: beauty but with an edge
- Ted Cruz and the Fallout for Fire Island
- Op-ed: What Happened When President Obama Met Two Trans Service Members
- Out Photographer Slammed for Gay Iwo Jima Re-Creation
- Marriage Equality Supporter Featured in Mormon Anti-Marriage Equality Post
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- Kentucky County Clerk Sued Over Denial of Marriage Licenses