Artist Spotlight: Joe Lally
BY Albert Smith
July 31 2010 5:00 AM ET
Why are you a photographer?
I have a fondness for capturing beauty, like a butterfly collection — beauty under glass and unobtainable.
What catches your eye?
The combination of physical beauty and a mystery in the eyes.
How do you choose your subjects?
They must have a hypnotic appeal, drawing in the senses.
How do you describe your work?
I am influenced by the cinema of Luchino Visconti, how he used beauty with dramatic tension.
What makes a good photograph to you?
One that you want to spend more than 10 seconds with.
Who are your favorite artists? And why?
I like Helmut Newton: beauty but with an edge
- Dan Savage Calls Out Duggar's 'Staggering' Family Values Hypocrisy
- Gallery of Geek: Yannick Tallarida
- Eurovision Winner Who Called Gays an 'Abnormality' Changes Tune
- Op-ed: I'm a Trans Man Who Doesn't 'Pass' — And You Shouldn't Either
- RuPaul Slays in New Video 'Modern Love'
- The Cities LGBTs Love And the Ones We Shun