Artist Spotlight: Joe Lally
BY Albert Smith
July 31 2010 5:00 AM ET
Why are you a photographer?
I have a fondness for capturing beauty, like a butterfly collection — beauty under glass and unobtainable.
What catches your eye?
The combination of physical beauty and a mystery in the eyes.
How do you choose your subjects?
They must have a hypnotic appeal, drawing in the senses.
How do you describe your work?
I am influenced by the cinema of Luchino Visconti, how he used beauty with dramatic tension.
What makes a good photograph to you?
One that you want to spend more than 10 seconds with.
Who are your favorite artists? And why?
I like Helmut Newton: beauty but with an edge
- WATCH: Picking Up Random Strangers Of The Same Sex
- Woman, Boyfriend Sentenced For Beating Suspected Gay Son To Death
- WATCH: Dax Shepherd's Crush on Brad Pitt is Too Real For Kristen Bell
- Op-ed: Burning Books, One Word at a Time
- Last Words With RuPaul's Drag Race's Trinity K. Bonet
- The Passion of Christ: A Gay Vision