Artist Spotlight: Joe Lally
BY Albert Smith
July 31 2010 4:00 AM ET
Why are you a photographer?
I have a fondness for capturing beauty, like a butterfly collection — beauty under glass and unobtainable.
What catches your eye?
The combination of physical beauty and a mystery in the eyes.
How do you choose your subjects?
They must have a hypnotic appeal, drawing in the senses.
How do you describe your work?
I am influenced by the cinema of Luchino Visconti, how he used beauty with dramatic tension.
What makes a good photograph to you?
One that you want to spend more than 10 seconds with.
Who are your favorite artists? And why?
I like Helmut Newton: beauty but with an edge
- Theater Late Gay TV Star's Play Eyes Broadway 1 min 10 sec ago
- Commentary Why Is the St Patrick's Day Parade So Important to LGBT Activists? 1 min 28 sec ago
- Comedy WATCH: Jeffrey: The Series Episode 7, ‘Velvet Rope’ 3 min 45 sec ago
- Religion Meet the Controversial Spiritual Adviser to Trans People 1 hour 24 min ago
- Women 9 Inspiring Women Backing LGBT Rights Around The World 1 hour 46 min ago
- Marriage Equality Where Can You Get Married in Illinois? 1 hour 55 min ago
- HIV & AIDS HIV 101: Can I Get HIV if I’m a Top? 2 hours 4 min ago