Artist Spotlight: Brian Kaminski
BY Albert Smith
September 04 2010 4:00 AM ET
Brian Kaminski is a fashion and fine art photographer. A voyeur by heart, he often favors a photojournalistic approach to his work, allowing the creation of a story to evolve naturally through movement, form, and composition. Originally from Arizona, Kaminski found his way to Los Angeles as a model but eventually found his true passion lay behind the camera instead.
Why are you a photographer?
I am truly a voyeur and I love to watch people, so if I can get paid doing something I love, something I do anyways, why not!
What catches your eye?
Light, reflection of light, and the way people stand or are leaning. These are usually the things that I put into my subconscious to draw upon at later times.
How do you choose your subjects?
This is determined by what the client is looking for — the feeling of the clothes, location, etc. — as well as the uninhibition and openness and trust that the model has in my eye.
How do you describe your work?
Third-person photojournalistic. This is the most natural way to produce emotion in a shot. Time magazine meets Vogue.
What makes a good photograph to you?
The ability to convey emotion and beauty through angles, composition, and light/shadow.
Who are your favorite artists?
Terry Richardson. His lighting is constant, simple, and unobtrusive. He can focus his energy on bringing feeling out of the model and location. I also relate to Mario Testino and his style. I began to love him after seeing his "stories" brought to life by his published shots from Brazil.
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Anne Rice Announces New Vampire Chronicles Novel
- WATCH: Gay Man's Grandfather Came Out to Him at 90 Years Old
- Is Mr. Peabody & Sherman About Adoption by Gays?
- Op-ed: Pope Francis: One Year In, Door Slightly Ajar for LGBT People
- Op-ed: In Boston, an Ugly St. Patrick's Day Tradition Continues
- Parenting Is Mr. Peabody & Sherman About Adoption by Gays? 28 min 44 sec ago
- Media Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination March 10 2014 9:37 PM
- Women Lorde Takes Down Idiot DJ Who Implies She and Taylor Swift Are Lesbians March 10 2014 9:01 PM
- Women WATCH: Trailer for New Lesbian-Themed Series #Hashtag March 10 2014 7:54 PM
- Travel Sydney Mardi Gras: A Post-Mortem March 10 2014 7:47 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Marriage Equality Is an 'Extra Right,' Says Right-Wing Activist March 10 2014 7:44 PM
- Women Laurel Holloman Joins L Word Costars Leisha Hailey and Kate Moennig at Dinah! March 10 2014 6:22 PM