Artist Spotlight: Brian Kaminski
BY Albert Smith
September 04 2010 4:00 AM ET
Brian Kaminski is a fashion and fine art photographer. A voyeur by heart, he often favors a photojournalistic approach to his work, allowing the creation of a story to evolve naturally through movement, form, and composition. Originally from Arizona, Kaminski found his way to Los Angeles as a model but eventually found his true passion lay behind the camera instead.
Why are you a photographer?
I am truly a voyeur and I love to watch people, so if I can get paid doing something I love, something I do anyways, why not!
What catches your eye?
Light, reflection of light, and the way people stand or are leaning. These are usually the things that I put into my subconscious to draw upon at later times.
How do you choose your subjects?
This is determined by what the client is looking for — the feeling of the clothes, location, etc. — as well as the uninhibition and openness and trust that the model has in my eye.
How do you describe your work?
Third-person photojournalistic. This is the most natural way to produce emotion in a shot. Time magazine meets Vogue.
What makes a good photograph to you?
The ability to convey emotion and beauty through angles, composition, and light/shadow.
Who are your favorite artists?
Terry Richardson. His lighting is constant, simple, and unobtrusive. He can focus his energy on bringing feeling out of the model and location. I also relate to Mario Testino and his style. I began to love him after seeing his "stories" brought to life by his published shots from Brazil.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Christopher Sousa 4:00 AM
- Education Theological School Grads Show Support With Rainbow Tassels May 24 2013 8:55 PM
- Technology Want the Worst? Search for 'Gayest' May 24 2013 8:25 PM
- The End of Bullying WATCH: It Already Got Better for This Colorado Student May 24 2013 7:58 PM
- Women Kaitlyn Hunt Refuses Plea, Heads to Court Over Same-Sex High School Relationship May 24 2013 7:48 PM
- Politics Ukrainian LGBT Pride Event Blocked May 24 2013 7:32 PM
- Sports MMA Fighter in First Fight Since Revealing Gender Transition May 24 2013 7:00 PM