Artist Spotlight: Fred Othero
BY Albert Smith
September 25 2010 1:30 AM ET
I reside in Belo Horizonte, Minas Gerais, which is one of the most traditional states in Brazil, so photographing what I do is a taboo here, especially for someone about to graduate from a Catholic university. However, thanks to the Internet I am able to produce and showcase my work to clients and viewers all around the globe.
I have always been a photographer, but I have never thought I could do something different than just capturing what there was to be seen. I did my first photo shoot when I was in seventh grade for a school project using a very simple point-and-shoot Kodak 35mm camera. In my sophomore year I got my first digital camera, which I took with me everywhere.
For many years I have dreamed of working in advertising, but in college I finally realized that I could work with what I really love. At that moment I decided to quit my job as an intern at an advertising agency. I was determined to work with anything directly related to photography, even if it meant going to work printing pictures at Wal-Mart. Thankfully, it was not necessary. I will be graduating next July, and as a graduation project I'm doing academic research on the boundaries of fashion, photography, and art.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Crime Gay Man Gunned Down in NYC Street, Dies UPDATED: May 18 2013 7:24 PM
- Youth Florida Teen Arrested, Expelled for Same-Sex Relationship May 18 2013 6:58 PM
- Media Legendary Gay Gossip Columnist Michael Musto Responds to Being Laid Off May 18 2013 3:21 PM
- Marriage Equality Vive la France! Hollande Signs Marriage Equality Bill May 18 2013 12:20 PM
- Photography Photos: Cuba Libre May 18 2013 5:29 AM
- Television These 20 Sexy Pics of Stephen Amell Will Hit Your Bullseye May 17 2013 9:00 PM
- Politics Portugal Approves Adoption Rights for Same-Sex Spouses May 17 2013 8:32 PM