Artist Spotlight: Scott Hoover
BY Albert Smith
October 02 2010 3:00 AM ET
How do you describe your work?
My approach is very simple. I shoot what I think looks good, and I usually make it up as I go along. I am not trying to re-create the wheel, but I think I have a different take on the standard "male model with his shirt off" photo. I always try and find something that shows the subject off and makes them look sexy. I like the focus to be on the model's face and a feeling, as opposed to just a body part, though my work tends to show a lot of skin. I love black-and-white images, and when I am shooting I never think about color, but how it is going to look once I desaturate the image and add my "voodoo" to it. I would best describe my work as simple, sexy portraits. You can make a model look sexy without doing the obvious.
What makes a good photograph to you?
An image that makes me stop and do a double take. Great eye contact or a feeling that you get when you look at the image and you can connect on some level with what is going on. It can be arm placement or the way the light lies across the model's body or makes the eyes light up.
Who are your favorite artists? And why?
I have always been a huge fan of George Hurrell's work. His images were so amazing, and his use of light on the subject is magnificent. Hands down my all-time favorite and my biggest inspiration. Herb Ritts is also one of my favorites for the same reasons — simple and sexy!
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- WATCH: Rep. Polis's Epic Blowup on House Floor Over Immigration
- Morrissey's Gay Relationship Scrubbed From U.S. Edition of Autobiography
- Op-ed: Stop Judging Tom Daley and Dustin Lance Black
- WATCH: Colo. Baker Who Refused Gay Wedding Cake Appears In Court
- WATCH: New 'It Gets Better' Campaign Aimed at Russian LGBT Youth
- Travel Turkish Bazaar Opening on Vegas Strip 4 min 40 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Nurse: 3D is the Epic Lesbian Exploitation Hospital Thriller of the Year! 22 min 36 sec ago
- No More Bullying WATCH: New 'It Gets Better' Campaign Speaks to Russian LGBT Youth 43 min 32 sec ago
- World News LGBT Rights Are 'Essential Part' of U.S. Foreign Policy, Says Susan Rice 1 hour 1 min ago
- Marriage Equality Judge Expected to Rule on Utah Marriage Ban Early Next Year 1 hour 16 min ago
- Transgender Are Federal Contractors Allowed to Discriminate Against Trans People? 1 hour 26 min ago
- HIV & AIDS Nelson Mandela, HIV Advocate and Humanitarian, Dies at 95 1 hour 45 min ago