Artist Spotlight: Scott Hoover
BY Albert Smith
October 02 2010 4:00 AM ET
How do you describe your work?
My approach is very simple. I shoot what I think looks good, and I usually make it up as I go along. I am not trying to re-create the wheel, but I think I have a different take on the standard "male model with his shirt off" photo. I always try and find something that shows the subject off and makes them look sexy. I like the focus to be on the model's face and a feeling, as opposed to just a body part, though my work tends to show a lot of skin. I love black-and-white images, and when I am shooting I never think about color, but how it is going to look once I desaturate the image and add my "voodoo" to it. I would best describe my work as simple, sexy portraits. You can make a model look sexy without doing the obvious.
What makes a good photograph to you?
An image that makes me stop and do a double take. Great eye contact or a feeling that you get when you look at the image and you can connect on some level with what is going on. It can be arm placement or the way the light lies across the model's body or makes the eyes light up.
Who are your favorite artists? And why?
I have always been a huge fan of George Hurrell's work. His images were so amazing, and his use of light on the subject is magnificent. Hands down my all-time favorite and my biggest inspiration. Herb Ritts is also one of my favorites for the same reasons — simple and sexy!
- Op-ed: In Defense of Looking
- Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill He Helped Kill
- WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families
- HIV & AIDS Why Are a Higher Percentage of Native Americans Dying from AIDS Complications Than Any Other Group? 55 min 32 sec ago
- Arts & Entertainment Lorde Is Not Having Your Stupid Lesbian Joke 1 hour 21 min ago
- Commentary Op-ed: In Defense of Looking 7:00 AM
- Current Issue Truly Social Networking 6:01 AM
- Seat Filler 5 Must-See Shows: What's Gay Off-Broadway 5:00 AM
- Media Chicago Monthly Paper Threatens to Out Aldermen March 11 2014 8:40 PM
- Travel VIDEO: George Takei at Austin's SXSW Festival March 11 2014 7:17 PM