Artist Spotlight: Tomoaki Hata
BY Albert Smith
November 06 2010 4:00 AM ET
With over than 10 years of education in law, sociology, media studies, cultural studies, and art criticism in Japan, Tomoaki Hata began his career as a photographer in 1996 at Japan's groundbreaking HIV/AIDS benefit dance parties and with candid still photography of Japan's gay porn industry. Recently Tomoaki's photography was curated by Eric Mezil, the director of Collection Lambert, the contemporary art museum in Avignon, France. Many of Tomoaki's photographic works were exhibited in "AKIMAHEN" and "EIJYANAIKA," the biggest exhibition of modern Japanese artists in France, including Takashi Murakami, Yayoi Kusama, Yoko Ono, and Nobuyoshi Araki.
Images from The Night Is Still Young, foreword by Eric C. Shiner and Simone Fukayuki. Available at PowerhouseBooks.com.
- San Diego Mourns Third Trans Teen to Die by Suicide
- Op-ed: I'm a Trans Man Who Doesn't 'Pass' — And You Shouldn't Either
- WATCH: Alabama Jails, Fines Minister After Performing Lesbian Wedding
- Dan Savage Calls Out Duggar's 'Staggering' Family Values Hypocrisy
- 6 Last-Minute Exercises for the Perfect Gay Beach Bod
- 14 Stunning Photos of LGBT Military Personnel