Artist Spotlight: Tomoaki Hata
BY Albert Smith
November 06 2010 4:00 AM ET
With over than 10 years of education in law, sociology, media studies, cultural studies, and art criticism in Japan, Tomoaki Hata began his career as a photographer in 1996 at Japan's groundbreaking HIV/AIDS benefit dance parties and with candid still photography of Japan's gay porn industry. Recently Tomoaki's photography was curated by Eric Mezil, the director of Collection Lambert, the contemporary art museum in Avignon, France. Many of Tomoaki's photographic works were exhibited in "AKIMAHEN" and "EIJYANAIKA," the biggest exhibition of modern Japanese artists in France, including Takashi Murakami, Yayoi Kusama, Yoko Ono, and Nobuyoshi Araki.
Images from The Night Is Still Young, foreword by Eric C. Shiner and Simone Fukayuki. Available at PowerhouseBooks.com.
- The 50 Most Influential LGBT People in Media
- Artist Spotlight: Roberta Marrero
- Gay Artists & Artwork From Around the Globe | Artist Spotlight
- WATCH: Philly Cops Search For Violent Group In Possible Hate Crime Against Gay Couple
- Kazakhstan Politicians Call for DNA Testing to Identify Gays
- The Media Pioneers Will Be Gay