Artist Spotlight: Tomoaki Hata
BY Albert Smith
November 06 2010 4:00 AM ET
With over than 10 years of education in law, sociology, media studies, cultural studies, and art criticism in Japan, Tomoaki Hata began his career as a photographer in 1996 at Japan's groundbreaking HIV/AIDS benefit dance parties and with candid still photography of Japan's gay porn industry. Recently Tomoaki's photography was curated by Eric Mezil, the director of Collection Lambert, the contemporary art museum in Avignon, France. Many of Tomoaki's photographic works were exhibited in "AKIMAHEN" and "EIJYANAIKA," the biggest exhibition of modern Japanese artists in France, including Takashi Murakami, Yayoi Kusama, Yoko Ono, and Nobuyoshi Araki.
Images from The Night Is Still Young, foreword by Eric C. Shiner and Simone Fukayuki. Available at PowerhouseBooks.com.
- Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT
- Donald Rumsfeld Isn't Sure, But Marriage Equality Might Lead to Polygamy
- A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Op-ed: My Life as a Gay Boy Scout
- Schumer Admits Reason He Left Gays Out of Immigration 'Provides Little Comfort'
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Comics and Graphic Novels This Gay Superhero Comic Is So Super Duper 9 min 38 sec ago
- The End of Bullying Could Video Games Be a Cure for Anti-LGBT Bullying? 54 min 38 sec ago
- Women Kaitlyn Hunt's Lawyer: Possible Plea Deal, But No Felony For Same-Sex High School Relationship 2 hours 5 min ago
- Military Donald Rumsfeld Isn't Sure, But Marriage Equality Might Lead to Polygamy 2 hours 8 min ago
- Internet WATCH: The First AIDS Generation in Giant Town Hall 2 hours 52 min ago
- Politics Joe Biden Praises Jewish Leaders for Marriage Equality 2 hours 59 min ago
- Travel Peace Corps Recognizes, Respects Same-Sex Couples 5:07 PM