Artist Spotlight: Rowan Mersh
BY Christopher Harrity
September 03 2011 4:00 AM ET
An installation consisting of 25 kinetic/lighting sculptures, commissioned by Artwise Curators for a temporary show at Maison Blanche, Paris. Constructed from Plexiglas rod and tubes of fabric mesh, each unit within the installation was strung between a steel base and self-designed motorized mechanism. The bases acted as an anchor as the motorized mechanisms slowly coiled each unit into a spiral/helix structure. On reaching the optimum point tension (when each unit was unable to coil any further), the motorized mechanisms realized the coiled structures, at which point the velocity of the uncoil is such that the illusion of a “whirlwind of light” is created. This cycle is then repeated.
- More Events Cancel Over Gay Hotel Owner's Ted Cruz Dinner Party
- Kris Humphries Blames Vague Tweet, Supports Bruce Jenner
- #TBT: Breaking the Gay Code in the Movies
- Reba McEntire: First Time I Saw a Reba Drag Queen 'It Really Ticked Me Off'
- Check Out The Enormous Support for Bruce Jenner from Celebs on Twitter
- WATCH: Ireland's New Marriage Equality Ad Will Give You Goosebumps