Artist Spotlight: Rowan Mersh
BY Christopher Harrity
September 03 2011 4:00 AM ET
An installation consisting of 25 kinetic/lighting sculptures, commissioned by Artwise Curators for a temporary show at Maison Blanche, Paris. Constructed from Plexiglas rod and tubes of fabric mesh, each unit within the installation was strung between a steel base and self-designed motorized mechanism. The bases acted as an anchor as the motorized mechanisms slowly coiled each unit into a spiral/helix structure. On reaching the optimum point tension (when each unit was unable to coil any further), the motorized mechanisms realized the coiled structures, at which point the velocity of the uncoil is such that the illusion of a “whirlwind of light” is created. This cycle is then repeated.
- Op-ed: Gay Nightlife Is Dead — Long Live Gay Nightlife
- Op-ed: Rethinking the Shame Game Against Homophobes
- RuPaul's Drag Race, Logo TV Apologize for Transphobic Slur
- WATCH: Sprint Sends Customer Email to 'Gay Sissyboy'
- Op-ed: I'm a Gay Guy at a Christian College
- WATCH: Ala. Woman Charged With Murder of Son's Boyfriend