Artist Spotlight: Rowan Mersh
BY Christopher Harrity
September 03 2011 4:00 AM ET
An installation consisting of 25 kinetic/lighting sculptures, commissioned by Artwise Curators for a temporary show at Maison Blanche, Paris. Constructed from Plexiglas rod and tubes of fabric mesh, each unit within the installation was strung between a steel base and self-designed motorized mechanism. The bases acted as an anchor as the motorized mechanisms slowly coiled each unit into a spiral/helix structure. On reaching the optimum point tension (when each unit was unable to coil any further), the motorized mechanisms realized the coiled structures, at which point the velocity of the uncoil is such that the illusion of a “whirlwind of light” is created. This cycle is then repeated.
- Why Can't We Talk About Homophobia in the Black Community?
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Vatican Official Calls Irish Marriage Vote 'Defeat for Humanity'
- EXCLUSIVE: Watch the Official Trailer for 54: The Director's Cut
- WATCH: Out Musician Mika Shares Video for 'Good Guys,' a Bittersweet Homage to Gay Men
- The Cities LGBTs Love And the Ones We Shun