Artist Spotlight: Wes Hempel
BY Christopher Harrity
October 08 2011 4:00 AM ET
I was initially drawn to the Vermeer interior because of the extraordinary quality of light. But I’m also playing around with the contemporary painter George Deem’s campy idea of How to Paint a Vermeer (title of a book of his paintings). So the piece may be humorous on various levels. And yet I think there’s a poignancy lurking underneath that has to do with the portrait on the wall (the same person as a boy?) and the way the young man presents himself now.
- 10 Tips on Growing Older for LGBT People Under 40
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- The True Meaning of the Word 'Cisgender'
- Leslie Jordan Banishes Antigay Starbucks Patrons: 'Get Out of My House!'
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- Our Moms Should Have Known: 18 Men Share Their Gay Giveaways