Artist Spotlight: Wes Hempel
BY Christopher Harrity
October 08 2011 4:00 AM ET
I was initially drawn to the Vermeer interior because of the extraordinary quality of light. But I’m also playing around with the contemporary painter George Deem’s campy idea of How to Paint a Vermeer (title of a book of his paintings). So the piece may be humorous on various levels. And yet I think there’s a poignancy lurking underneath that has to do with the portrait on the wall (the same person as a boy?) and the way the young man presents himself now.
- Why Can't We Talk About Homophobia in the Black Community?
- EXCLUSIVE: Watch the Official Trailer for 54: The Director's Cut
- WATCH: Out Musician Mika Shares Video for 'Good Guys,' a Bittersweet Homage to Gay Men
- Op-ed: Let's Keep the Momentum Going After Win in Ireland
- In Protesting Irish Marriage Victory, Westboro Gets the Flag Wrong
- Vatican Official Calls Irish Marriage Vote 'Defeat for Humanity'