Artist Spotlight: Wes Hempel
BY Christopher Harrity
October 08 2011 3:00 AM ET
I was initially drawn to the Vermeer interior because of the extraordinary quality of light. But I’m also playing around with the contemporary painter George Deem’s campy idea of How to Paint a Vermeer (title of a book of his paintings). So the piece may be humorous on various levels. And yet I think there’s a poignancy lurking underneath that has to do with the portrait on the wall (the same person as a boy?) and the way the young man presents himself now.
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- WATCH: Obama Invokes LGBT Rights in Mandela Eulogy
- PHOTOS: We Asked The Stars, Who Is Your Hero?
- New Gay U.S. Ambassador Meets With Dominican President
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- Media Russia Expert to Offer Political Commentary During Olympics 39 min 27 sec ago
- Travel In-Flight Cellphone Conversations: Dream or Nightmare? 47 min 1 sec ago
- Politics New Gay U.S. Ambassador Meets With Dominican President 1 hour 27 min ago
- Latest News NBC To Spotlight Russia’s Human Rights Abuses During Olympics 2 hours 24 min ago
- Couples/Personal Finances The Financial Effects of DOMA: Filing Taxes 2 hours 39 min ago
- Couples/Personal Finances Examining Employee Benefits in the Wake of DOMA’s Overturn 2 hours 57 min ago
- Women Pussy Riot To Be Freed 5:25 PM