Artist Spotlight: Wes Hempel
BY Christopher Harrity
October 08 2011 4:00 AM ET
I was initially drawn to the Vermeer interior because of the extraordinary quality of light. But I’m also playing around with the contemporary painter George Deem’s campy idea of How to Paint a Vermeer (title of a book of his paintings). So the piece may be humorous on various levels. And yet I think there’s a poignancy lurking underneath that has to do with the portrait on the wall (the same person as a boy?) and the way the young man presents himself now.
- Panic! at the Disco Counters Westboro Baptist Church Picket With Donation
- Shocking Increase in HIV Diagnosis Rate Among Young Gay, Bi Men
- WATCH: Do Kids Movies Push The 'Gay Agenda'?
- Fox Pundit: Obama Forcing 'Militant LGBT Agenda' on Christians
- GLAAD Studio Responsibility Index Reveals Lack of LGBT Visibility
- Op-ed: All Gay People Are Screwed Up and It's OK