In the Galleries: Francisco Cabas
BY Advocate.com Editors
July 11 2012 2:18 PM ET
Above: Cabas's The Fortress, oil on canvas, 4'x6'
The L.A. Gay and Lesbian Center’s Advocate & Gochis Galleries celebrate the opening of In the Making: A Story of Dreamers in Transit, an exhibition of original paintings by artist Francisco Cabas and collages created in collaboration with youth in the Gay & Lesbian Center’s Transition Living Program. An opening reception will take place on Thursday, July 12, 7-9 p.m. at the Center’s Village at Ed Gould Plaza. The exhibit will run through August 17.
Francisco Cabas’s work proposes visual and conceptual models within narratives of sexual violence, homophobia, and regeneration. Through an intricate “highway system” of roots and veins, Cabas creates a visual metaphor where the emptiness caused by emotional devastation and social alienation is transformed into a quest for individual and community empowerment.
As part of his commitment to public service, Cabas worked for the last two years with young people in the Transition Living Program at the Gay & Lesbian Center to create artworks that engage with the experience of transit and the essential longings of the human heart. The resulting collages are snapshots of untold stories created with original images, found objects, news clippings and documentary photography taken during weekly art sessions held at the shelter.
See more of Cabas's work as well as some students' collages on the following pages.
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- PHOTOS: We Asked The Stars, Who Is Your Hero?
- Gay Man Allegedly Assaulted by Hasidic Gang in New York
- WATCH: Obama Invokes LGBT Rights in Mandela Eulogy
- Women Emily Rios' Lesbian Character on The Bridge Upped to Series Regular December 10 2013 8:47 PM
- Media Russia Expert to Offer Political Commentary During Olympics December 10 2013 7:56 PM
- Travel In-Flight Cellphone Conversations: Dream or Nightmare? December 10 2013 7:48 PM
- Politics New Gay U.S. Ambassador Meets With Dominican President December 10 2013 7:08 PM
- Latest News NBC To Spotlight Russia’s Human Rights Abuses During Olympics December 10 2013 6:11 PM
- Couples/Personal Finances The Financial Effects of DOMA: Filing Taxes December 10 2013 5:56 PM
- Couples/Personal Finances Examining Employee Benefits in the Wake of DOMA’s Overturn December 10 2013 5:38 PM