In the Galleries: Francisco Cabas
BY Advocate.com Editors
July 11 2012 3:18 PM ET
Above: Cabas's The Fortress, oil on canvas, 4'x6'
The L.A. Gay and Lesbian Center’s Advocate & Gochis Galleries celebrate the opening of In the Making: A Story of Dreamers in Transit, an exhibition of original paintings by artist Francisco Cabas and collages created in collaboration with youth in the Gay & Lesbian Center’s Transition Living Program. An opening reception will take place on Thursday, July 12, 7-9 p.m. at the Center’s Village at Ed Gould Plaza. The exhibit will run through August 17.
Francisco Cabas’s work proposes visual and conceptual models within narratives of sexual violence, homophobia, and regeneration. Through an intricate “highway system” of roots and veins, Cabas creates a visual metaphor where the emptiness caused by emotional devastation and social alienation is transformed into a quest for individual and community empowerment.
As part of his commitment to public service, Cabas worked for the last two years with young people in the Transition Living Program at the Gay & Lesbian Center to create artworks that engage with the experience of transit and the essential longings of the human heart. The resulting collages are snapshots of untold stories created with original images, found objects, news clippings and documentary photography taken during weekly art sessions held at the shelter.
See more of Cabas's work as well as some students' collages on the following pages.
- New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families
- WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Rejects Plea Deal, Girlfriend's Parents Say They Had No Choice
- Artist Spotlight: Christopher Sousa
- Robbie Rogers Becomes First Openly Gay Major League Soccer Player
- WATCH: It Already Got Better for This Colorado Student
- Op-ed: Democrats Throw Queers Under the Bus—Again
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Television Jason Collins Calls It a 'Slam-Dunk!' and More Fake Gay Reviews for Behind the Candelabra 6:30 PM
- Food and Drink Want to Eat a Hot Dog Named After Harvey Fierstein? 5:53 PM
- Marriage Equality French Marriage Equality Opponent 'Very Scared' Of Right-Wing Backlash 3:02 PM
- Entertainment News Augusten Burroughs Shows Off Wedding Rings 1:56 PM
- Women WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Rejects Plea, Victim's Parents Speak 1:21 PM
- Washington D.C. White House to Host Pride Reception June 13 12:44 PM
- Politics Virginia's Lt. Gov. Nominee Says Gays Are 'Ikky' 12:35 PM