In The Galleries: Silvia Prada, 'The New Modern Hair'
BY Christopher Harrity
January 22 2013 6:18 PM ET
"The New Modern Hair" is an artistic representation of the subtle nuances and cues that help define the male persona, identity and representation within the parameters of visual and popular culture. With her book The New Modern Hair: A Styling Chart as departure point, Prada has created a series of drawings, poster montages, and large-scale murals, capturing the typecasting and idealized character building that has become ingrained in our minds through media, pop culture, and iconography.
The portraits — with titles ranging from The Flat Top to The Sportsman and also to Executive Contour – pay homage to vintage barbershop imagery and are juxtaposed with didactic geometric drawings; all loony remixes of 20th-century art movements such as Bauhaus, De Stijl and Russian Constructivism.
The exhibition features contributions by visual artists Marc Balet, Bruce LaBruce, Brian Kenny, Robert W. Richards, and Slava Mogutin among many others.
Now through February 26th at The Pacific Design Center, Los Angeles.
For more information: culture-edit.com/thenewmodernhair/
- Entertainment News WATCH: Ellen DeGeneres' First Trailer for the Oscars 1 hour 41 min ago
- Travel Futuristic Vegas Nightclub Goes Gay December 19 2013 8:42 PM
- Obituaries Washington Marriage Equality Opponent Dies December 19 2013 8:10 PM
- Film Paul Rudd Set to Star in Marvel Comics Ant-Man Film December 19 2013 7:08 PM
- Entertainment News Reality Star Marksman Chris Cheng Comes Out December 19 2013 6:36 PM
- Travel Out Traveler Award Winner: Best Hotel Chain December 19 2013 6:33 PM
- People Bobby Jindal Is Mad No One Thought Phil Robertson Was Funny December 19 2013 6:18 PM