Public Art, Private Expression
BY Christopher Harrity
July 20 2013 4:00 AM ET
Thomas Hart Benton
Benton identified as strictly heterosexual. In fact, during much of his career, he fostered the idea that the only legitimate art was non-abstract and masculine. He promoted the idea that all European art was too feminine. He spread rumors of American Gothic artist Grant Wood's homosexuality to other colleagues and students. Google image Thomas Hart Benton Mural. You will see the results are a mass of anatomically incorrect muscle. But he manages to get a brawny, bare-chested or nearly nude man, often many of them, in most of his work.
- WATCH: In Pat Robertson's Latest Diatribe, Gays Are 'Terrorists'
- That's Amoré! 11 Irresistible Images of What Happened When Rome Recognized Same-Sex Marriages
- Op-ed: How Transparent Tried and Failed to Represent Trans Men
- Gay Artists & Artwork From Around the Globe | Artist Spotlight
- Idaho Gov. Begs Court to Reverse 'Bad Law' of Marriage Equality
- Have We Got Matthew Shepard All Wrong?