The Golden Age of Denial: Hercules, the Bisexual Demigod
BY Christopher Harrity
August 14 2013 5:05 AM ET
Antaeus and Hercules: Swept Off His Feet
Legend has it that Antaeus would challenge all passers-by to wrestle. He would kill them and then use their skulls to build a temple to his father, Poseidon. He was superhumanly strong as long as he kept his feet on the ground, but once lifted into the air he became as vulnerable as other men.
Antaeus had defeated most of his opponents until it came to his fight with Hercules (who was on his way to the Garden of Hesperides for his 11th Labor). Upon finding that he could not beat Antaeus by throwing him to the ground, Hercules discovered the secret of his power. Holding Antaeus aloft, Hercules crushed him in a bear hug. The struggle between Antaeus and Hercules is a favorite subject in ancient and Renaissance sculpture and painting. Depictions of Antaeus with his legs in the air were also found in many gay men's homes in the last century as a sort of visual code to visitors that they belonged to "the club."
Hercules and Antaeus by Antonio Del Pollaiuolo. A bit grim, but some nice butt crack.
Antaeus looks pretty earthbound here, but he is surrendering to some apparent hair-pulling. Antoine Coypel's version of Hercules and Antaeus, 1667-1669.
Fuente de Hercules y Anteo, Jardin del Parterre Aranjuez, Madrid. When this fountain is active, water spurts from Antaeus' mouth. Cute.
- WATCH: The 12 Gayest Holiday Spectaculars Ever!
- These Couples Prove Love Is Love
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- Op-ed: What I Didn't Learn in Catholic School
- Antigay Think Tank Could Use a Copy Editor
- Mass. Lt. Gov. Candidate Backs Marriage Equality; Conservatives Object
- Travel Spider-Man Will Welcome In 2014 In Times Square 4 min ago
- Election Is Marriage Equality Still Politically Dangerous, Even in Mass.? 46 min 35 sec ago
- Entertainment News Tig Notaro Nominated for Best Comedy Album 1 hour 47 min ago
- HIV & AIDS Republican Pol: Gays Want Free Medical Care Because of AIDS 1 hour 51 min ago
- Parenting Israel Again Deals Gay Couples, Families Legislative Setback 4:10 PM
- Politics Gay Former Republican Congressman Condemns Interparty Discrimination 3:07 PM
- World News Putin Tightens Grip on Kremlin-Run News Agencies 3:02 PM