The Golden Age of Denial: Hercules, the Bisexual Demigod
BY Christopher Harrity
August 14 2013 6:05 AM ET
Louis Charles Auguste Couder, The Earth, or The Fight Between Hercules and Antaeus, 1819. This is perhaps the most luscious of all the versions of this myth that we could resource.
There is no overtly homosexual side to the story of the battle between Antaeus and Hercules, yet the consistent voluptuousness of the various versions is hard to deny with modern eyes. One man is being dominated by the other, naked sweaty bodies rubbing against each other. Legs flailing in air. The rapturous surrender and the focus on the vulnerable buttocks is hard to miss.
- Women WATCH: AI's Out Performer MK Nobilette Does 'To Make You Feel My Love' 32 min 32 sec ago
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Married British Same-Sex Couples Are Now Legal 47 min 5 sec ago
- Travel Forget J.Lo, Windy City Gay Idol is the Hot Ticket 49 min 53 sec ago
- Parenting How Every Parent Should Respond to Their Child Coming Out 1 hour 4 min ago
- Pride Will Lithuania Ban Pride Parades? 1 hour 5 min ago
- Women WATCH: Meet Orphan Black's New Clone! 1 hour 6 min ago
- Women Who the F Is ... Dolly Wilde 1 hour 28 min ago