The Golden Age of Denial: Hercules, the Bisexual Demigod
BY Christopher Harrity
August 14 2013 6:05 AM ET
Louis Charles Auguste Couder, The Earth, or The Fight Between Hercules and Antaeus, 1819. This is perhaps the most luscious of all the versions of this myth that we could resource.
There is no overtly homosexual side to the story of the battle between Antaeus and Hercules, yet the consistent voluptuousness of the various versions is hard to deny with modern eyes. One man is being dominated by the other, naked sweaty bodies rubbing against each other. Legs flailing in air. The rapturous surrender and the focus on the vulnerable buttocks is hard to miss.
- Gay Artists & Artwork From Around the Globe | Artist Spotlight
- Facebook Apologizes for 'Real Name' Policy
- The New 'Republicans Are People Too' Twitter Campaign Is An Epic Fail
- 5 Times the U.N. Resolved, Then Failed, to End Homophobia Worldwide
- WATCH: Ariz. High School Throws Out Ballots for Lesbian Homecoming Couple
- GLAAD Issues Record Number of 'Excellent' Ratings for TV Networks