In the Galleries: Bob Mizer & Tom of Finland
BY Advocate.com Editors
October 31 2013 10:35 AM ET
"Bob Mizer & Tom of Finland" is the first American museum exhibition devoted to the work of Bob Mizer (1922–1992) and Touko Laaksonen, a.k.a. Tom of Finland (1920–1991), two of the most recognizable figures of 20th century erotic art and forefathers of an emergent postwar gay culture. Organized by Museum of Contemporary Art curator Bennett Simpson and guest cocurator Richard Hawkins, in collaboration with the artists’ respective foundations, the exhibition will feature a selection of Laaksonen’s masterful drawings and collages, alongside Mizer’s photographs, photo-collages, and films, as well as his groundbreaking magazine Physique Pictorial — where drawings by Tom were first published in 1957.
"Bob Mizer & Tom of Finland"
November 2, 2013 – January 26, 2014
MOCA/Pacific Design Center
Bob Mizer, Untitled [Dennis Lavia in Shower with Washcloth], c. 1964. Published with permission of Bob Mizer Foundation.
Click through for more selctions from this exhibit >>
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay
- Fox's Newest Cop Comedy Is Quietly Breaking Ground
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Op-ed: Uganda's Top Tabloid Isn't News, It's a Hit List
- WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families
- Seat Filler 5 Must-See Shows: What's Gay Off-Broadway 59 min 57 sec ago
- Media Chicago Monthly Paper Threatens to Out Aldermen March 11 2014 8:40 PM
- Travel VIDEO: George Takei at Austin's SXSW Festival March 11 2014 7:17 PM
- Women WATCH: Bisexuality v. Pansexuality - We Discuss the Difference March 11 2014 7:02 PM
- Television WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families March 11 2014 6:45 PM
- Women 5 Things That Pissed Us Off This Week: Homegrown Homophobia March 11 2014 6:27 PM
- Religion Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis March 11 2014 6:25 PM