In the Galleries: Art & Physique Circa Bob & Tom
BY Christopher Harrity
November 09 2013 5:00 AM ET
ONE National Gay & Lesbian Archives presents "Art & Physique Circa Bob & Tom" at the ONE Gallery in West Hollywood, an exhibition exploring the social and historical context surrounding erotic art and physique photography during the 1940s, '50s, and '60s on the occasion of the Museum of Contemporary Art's retrospective Bob Mizer & Tom of Finland.
Drawn from the collections of ONE Archives at the USC Libraries, the largest LGBTQ repository in the world, with additional materials on loan from the Tom of Finland Foundation, the exhibition includes numerous bodybuilding and beefcake magazines from the period, as well as original artworks, collages, primary documents, and a range of related ephemera.
This opening reception is held in conjunction with the MOCA members opening for Bob Mizer & Tom of Finland at MOCA PDC (8687 Melrose Ave., West Hollywood, CA 90069). Following these openings receptions the City of West Hollywood is presenting a Tom of Finland themed Go-Go Dancer Appreciation Day event at Larrabee (8853 Santa Monica Blvd., West Hollywood, CA 90069). Information the City's Go-Go event here.
Art & Physique Circa Bob & Tom
November 9, 2013 - January 26, 2014
ONE Archives Gallery & Museum
626 North Robertson Boulevard
West Hollywood, CA 90069
Saturday, November 9, 2013, 6-9 p.m.
Click through for more images from this exhibit >>>
- Where in the World Are the Happiest Gay Men?
- Ala. Senate Passes Bill That Would End Marriage Licenses
- EXCLUSIVE: Watch the Official Trailer for 54: The Director's Cut
- REPORT: Bisexuals Face Biphobia at Doctor's Office, LGBT Groups
- Why Can't We Talk About Homophobia in the Black Community?
- Interception: Clemson Football Coach Withdraws From Antigay Fundraiser