In the Galleries: A Risky Collection and a Secret Identity
BY Christopher Harrity
November 18 2013 5:00 AM ET
The private collection of an American music producer and entrepreneur presented in this auction catalog encompasses a multifaceted as well as very personal selection of works by international artists of the 20th century. Content includes classic works of modernism, black-and-white photography, contemporary graphic works, and sculpture.
Gallery rep Kora Kleinert was professional and discreet when asked about the identity of the collector, but she did mention that "everyone seems to know who it is." The press release tell us this about the relationship between punk, porn, and glamour artist Terrence Koh and the collector: "The homosexual underground played an important role for the two friends."
The collector has had friendships with many of the artists in the collection. Many of these artists have courted controversy in the sexual nature of their work, and some, such as Will McBride, have been notoriously censored. There are works by Larry Clark, Andy Warhol, Luigi and Luca, Thomas Ruff, Norbert Bisky, and an impressive collection from the photographer and artist Ryan McGinley who is on the Out100 list this year.
Haus am Lützowplatz, Lützowplatz 9, 10785 Berlin, Germany
Thursday, November 21 –Tuesday, December 3, 2013: 10 a.m. – 6 p.m.
Erdener Straße 5a, 14193 Berlin, Germany December 4, 2013: 7 p.m.
Click through for more selections from the collection>>>
- Sports College Swimmer Comes Out to Religious Mom 27 min 6 sec ago
- Media CNN to Test New Don Lemon Prime-Time Show 41 min ago
- Religion WATCH: Christian Pastors Involved in African LGBT Issues — But Not How You May Think 57 min 3 sec ago
- Love and Sex Single, Fun, Fit, and 50 1 hour 8 min ago
- Travel Travelogue: News and Notes from Philly, San Diego and More 1 hour 25 min ago
- Politics Virginia's House Repeals Sodomy Ban 2 hours 25 min ago
- Crime WATCH: Gay Couple Attacked in NYC on 10th Anniversary 2 hours 31 min ago