Legendary Lovers: Gertrude Stein and Alice B. Toklas
BY Christopher Harrity
February 10 2014 4:00 AM ET
The salon at the Rue de Fleurus apartment. Picasso's famous portrait of Stein top, center.
Stein's writing was famously difficult. She wreaked havoc on syntax, grammar, and punctuation, but her most accessible and famous work was The Autobiography of Alice B. Toklas.
Besides the heavy hitters of culture like Picasso and Hemingway, Stein and Toklas were friends and collaborators with the most influential gay artists of the 20th century: Jean Cocteau, Thornton Wilder, Cecil Beaton, Virgil Thompson, and Sam Steward among them.
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie Support Their Kid Wearing Suits
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Did Nickelodeon Just Confirm Legend of Korra Same-Sex Romance?
- Gay Comic Publisher Undaunted by Apple's iBook Censorship
- This Year's Coolest Straight People in Entertainment
- WATCH: Laverne Cox Caught in Middle of Screaming Match on The View