Collecting Men: Early 20th-Century Figurative Art
BY Christopher Harrity
March 31 2014 5:30 AM ET
Standing Male Nude, Important Drawing With Watercolor by Jared French
Along with Paul Cadmus and George Tooker, Jared French was among the first artists in America to live and work as an openly gay man, and like them, he often focused on the male nude and allegorical subjects. French used pen and ink and a ruddy watercolor wash for this nude, showing the influence of Renaissance masters in his mastery of anatomy and draftsmanship.
From Our Archives: Jared French's Magic Realism
Is all male nudity in art and photography necessarily homoerotic? Continuing to explore artists who eroticized the male figure before Tom of Finland's career began, we look at bisexual artist Jared French.
- Artist Spotlight: Roberta Marrero
- Gay Artists & Artwork From Around the Globe | Artist Spotlight
- LSU Fraternity Faces Heat For Crass Michael Sam Banner
- LGBT People Are Driving an Upheaval in Video Games
- WATCH: Gay Vlogger Tyler Oakley Talks Education With Michelle Obama
- I'm From Driftwood Presents: 'You're Bisexual? Then Why Not Choose To Be Normal?'