Collecting Men: Early 20th-Century Figurative Art
BY Christopher Harrity
March 31 2014 5:30 AM ET
Bathers Tray, Rare Ceramic From Laguna Beach by Pat and Covey Stewart, 1951
This very rare Bathers piece by Pat and Covey Stewart depicts two nude male bathers along the rocky Laguna Beach coast. The Stewarts worked in Laguna Beach, Calif., from 1950 to 1952, exhibiting in the town's annual art fair and selling their ceramic wares to high-end gift shops and hotel shops across the nation.
- #TBT: Selling the Male Body
- Where in the World Are the Happiest Gay Men?
- WATCH: Alabama Jails, Fines Minister After Performing Lesbian Wedding
- Poised for Perfection: Sgt. Shane Ortega Puts a Face to the Transgender Military Ban
- New Report Underlines Savage Inequalities Faced by LGBT Americans
- 15 Queer Documentaries That Helped Define Us