Artist Spotlight: Hector Silva
BY Christopher Harrity
July 30 2011 5:00 AM ET
The Advocate: Why are you an artist?
Hector Silva: When I was 25, I discovered my ability to draw and paint. Being completely self-taught, I feel that it is my destiny to be an artist. I have a vision that I want to share with the world. As a triple minority, being a Latino, immigrant, and gay, and also being raised Catholic, I have much to represent.
Tell us about your process or techniques.
I usually draw from photographs, but all my art comes from my imagination. I use pencil and colored pencil, mostly black and white. I find this medium very pure and democratic. Sometimes I add a touch of color. That has become my signature. I capture the play of light and shadow through my shading and my values.
How do you choose your subjects?
If there is a political topic that I feel a need to address, or new definitions of masculinity, or as simple as depictions of love and tenderness among queer people, especially people of color. Of course, I like to draw from my Mexican culture. I am attracted to those subjects. I am also fascinated by Latino masculinities — for example, the “Homeboys.”
How do you describe your work?
My work belongs in the intersections of race and sexuality, of marginalization and belonging, of speaking truth to power.
What makes a good artwork to you?
I like work that has not been seen before, new ideas, new topics. I also appreciate work that is executed well. That is what makes fine art to me.
What artists do you take inspiration from and why?
I am a fan of M.C. Escher. I think he was a genius. I love Frida Kahlo and the way she drew inspiration from her personal life. Vermeer is also a favorite of mine — I love his portraiture artwork.
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay
- Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill He Helped Kill
- Fox's Newest Cop Comedy Is Quietly Breaking Ground
- Trans Woman Sues CrossFit After Being Told to Compete in Men's Division
- Television 15 Most Ridiculous Real Housewives Taglines Ever 29 min 18 sec ago
- Arts & Entertainment 10 Things We Learned from Neil Patrick Harris 34 min 28 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Houston's Lesbian Mayor Reveals 'The Gay Agenda' 1 hour 52 min ago
- Marriage Equality Oregon Republicans Support Marriage Equality 2 hours 31 min ago
- Uganda Ugandans Challenge 'Jail the Gays' Law in Court 2 hours 37 min ago
- Travel Melissa Etheridge Performing Russian Anthem at Toronto WorldPride 1:48 PM
- Television Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay 1:39 PM