Artist Spotlight: Ed Luce
BY Christopher Harrity
August 13 2011 3:00 AM ET
Ed Luce is an artist and writer from San Francisco who self-publishes the indie comic sensation Wuvable Oaf along with a line of related shirts and merchandise. Often referred to as the "Scott Pilgrim of gay comics," the story revolves around a large, scary-looking guy searching for love, his rather complicated relationship with cats, and his devotion to all sorts of good music. Along the way, readers meet a couple of warring queer rock bands and the Oaf's lovable cast of misfit friends, which includes pro wrestlers and cult celebrity guest stars.
Luce is also well-known for his comic's unusual special edition versions, which have included everything from lollipops to scratch-and-sniff trading cards to seven-inch vinyl record singles (featuring collaborations between legendary Bay Area bands Limp Wrist and Talk Is Poison).
Currently, Luce has two exhibitions of Oaf art running on the West Coast: One at Goteblüd, a vintage zine store in San Francisco's Mission district, and one at Floating World Comics in Portland, Ore. Over the next few months, Oaf will also be taking part in the San Francisco Zine Fest (September 3-4), the Alternative Press Expo (also in San Francisco, October 1 2) and the New York Art Book Fair at MoMA PS1 (represented by Matt Wobensmith, September 30-October 2).
For more information on these events and to shop for all things Oaf, visit WuvableOaf.com.
- Politics Gay Former Republican Congressman Condemns Interparty Discrimination 1 hour 20 min ago
- World News Putin Tightens Grip on Kremlin-Run News Agencies 1 hour 25 min ago
- Film Redbox Picks Up Bridegroom Despite Rule Against Documentaries 1 hour 33 min ago
- Travel Super Seniors of the Palm Springs Follies Prepare for the End 1 hour 38 min ago
- Film Bryan Singer Announces News for Next X-Men Film 1 hour 38 min ago
- Acceptance Matters WATCH: We Wish Every Coming Out Got a Hug-a-Thon 1 hour 47 min ago
- Marriage Equality Antigay Think Tank Could Use a Copy Editor 1 hour 51 min ago