Artist Spotlight: Scott Waters
BY Christopher Harrity
August 27 2011 4:00 AM ET
Born in Preston, England, Waters immigrated to Canada with his family. After serving as an infantry soldier in the Canadian Forces he began an academic career, which eventually led to a career as a visual artist and writer. Waters received a bachelor of fine arts degree from the University of Victoria and a master of fine arts degree from York University, and he has lived in Toronto for the past 11 years.
Represented by LE Gallery in Toronto, has had Waters solo exhibitions at venues including Rodman Hall, the Art Gallery of Southwestern Manitoba, and the Alternator Gallery. Notable touring group exhibitions include "A Brush With War: Military Art from Korea to Afghanistan" and "Diabolique."
Twice selected to participate in the Canadian Forces Artist Program, Waters has also undertaken residencies at Open Studio in Toronto and the Klondike Institute for Art and Culture in Dawson, Yukon.
Publications include the illustrated memoir, The Hero Book (Conundrum Press); features in Border Crossings, Public, Legion Magazine, and 100 Artists of the Male Figure; and writings in Drain Magazine, Kiss Machine, Contemporary Verse 2, and the upcoming anthology Embedded on the Homefront.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Sports MMA Fighter in First Fight Since Revealing Gender Transition 7 min 24 sec ago
- Women Op-Ed: Remembering Sakia Gunn: the News Coverage and Homophobic Murder 40 min ago
- Politics Puerto Rico House Approves Antidiscrimination Bill 48 min 16 sec ago
- Entertainment News Week in Geek: Star Trek Actor Gets Wet and Naked, Justice League, and More 1 hour 36 min ago
- Activism Multimedia Project Addresses LGBT Rights Among Palestinians 2 hours 1 min ago
- Women WATCH: Sara Gilbert is a Lesbian Stereotype in Flannel and Birkenstocks 3:36 PM
- Women Lena Dunham Is NOT Amused By Lesbian Porn Parody of Girls 2:54 PM