Artist Spotlight: Philip Bonneau
BY Christopher Harrity
November 10 2012 5:00 AM ET
In May of this year we first covered Bonneau's inspired project and we saw a great response about the first two issues and the images. The good news is that issue #3 is ready to go. To celebrate, there will be an opening reception and a silent auction of the Heroes + Villains #3 photography series to benefit AID Atlanta on Friday, November 16 7-11 p.m. at i.d. LAB. There will be live entertainment by the models — you won't want to miss this.
More from Philip Bonneau about the project:
Heroes + Villains is a concept series of reconnecting adults with their imagination with a commentary on who we are as individuals. At its core, this is escapism in the truest sense. As most people age that imagination gets lost somewhere in the shuffle of adult life. Stress takes over. The dreams shift from the fantastical to, for some, just getting by and making ends meet. For others they get passed down to children and forgotten. This series strives to bring that sense of wonder back to adults and to remind people of dreams and to enjoy life. This series takes into consideration that not everyone’s desires and dreams are the same for each of us, but some do overlap at times.
Issue #3 of Heroes + Villains is a show for everyone who was told they could not or should not be a certain character due to social conformity. By doing a show of these iconic characters in the manner of predominantly drag (or drab), it was meant to further separate the viewer from everyday life as well as celebrate one of the oldest methods of theatrical production. This show allows for my models to embrace the chance to live dreams they may have been denied growing up or for others a chance to stand up to say it is ok to be unique and different.
Click through for some of the latest images from his series.
- Arts & Entertainment EXCLUSIVE: Neil Patrick Harris, Behind the Shoot 38 min 43 sec ago
- HIV & AIDS Why Are a Higher Percentage of Native Americans Dying from AIDS Complications Than Any Other Group? 2 hours 32 min ago
- Arts & Entertainment Lorde Is Not Having Your Stupid Lesbian Joke 2 hours 58 min ago
- Commentary Op-ed: In Defense of Looking 7:00 AM
- Current Issue Truly Social Networking 6:01 AM
- Seat Filler 5 Must-See Shows: What's Gay Off-Broadway 5:00 AM
- Media Chicago Monthly Paper Threatens to Out Aldermen March 11 2014 8:40 PM