Artist Spotlight: Philip Bonneau
BY Christopher Harrity
November 10 2012 5:00 AM ET
In May of this year we first covered Bonneau's inspired project and we saw a great response about the first two issues and the images. The good news is that issue #3 is ready to go. To celebrate, there will be an opening reception and a silent auction of the Heroes + Villains #3 photography series to benefit AID Atlanta on Friday, November 16 7-11 p.m. at i.d. LAB. There will be live entertainment by the models — you won't want to miss this.
More from Philip Bonneau about the project:
Heroes + Villains is a concept series of reconnecting adults with their imagination with a commentary on who we are as individuals. At its core, this is escapism in the truest sense. As most people age that imagination gets lost somewhere in the shuffle of adult life. Stress takes over. The dreams shift from the fantastical to, for some, just getting by and making ends meet. For others they get passed down to children and forgotten. This series strives to bring that sense of wonder back to adults and to remind people of dreams and to enjoy life. This series takes into consideration that not everyone’s desires and dreams are the same for each of us, but some do overlap at times.
Issue #3 of Heroes + Villains is a show for everyone who was told they could not or should not be a certain character due to social conformity. By doing a show of these iconic characters in the manner of predominantly drag (or drab), it was meant to further separate the viewer from everyday life as well as celebrate one of the oldest methods of theatrical production. This show allows for my models to embrace the chance to live dreams they may have been denied growing up or for others a chance to stand up to say it is ok to be unique and different.
Click through for some of the latest images from his series.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Crime Gay Man Gunned Down in NYC Street, Dies UPDATED: 7:24 PM
- Youth Florida Teen Arrested, Expelled for Same-Sex Relationship 6:58 PM
- Media Legendary Gay Gossip Columnist Michael Musto Responds to Being Laid Off 3:21 PM
- Marriage Equality Vive la France! Hollande Signs Marriage Equality Bill 12:20 PM
- Photography Photos: Cuba Libre 5:29 AM
- Television These 20 Sexy Pics of Stephen Amell Will Hit Your Bullseye May 17 2013 9:00 PM
- Politics Portugal Approves Adoption Rights for Same-Sex Spouses May 17 2013 8:32 PM