Artist Spotlight: Kris Knight
BY Christopher Harrity
February 16 2013 5:18 AM ET
My Porcelain Life, 2011, oil on canvas, 30x40"
The Advocate: Your subjects seem to have a similar emotional profile. None of these kids seem like they were class clown, or a cheerleader or a football star. They seem cool and remote but very deep. Do you paint from real life? Are these models, and on what wonderful ghostly planet do you find them?
Kris Knight: The majority of my characters are based on real people, mostly friends and family but sometimes images from mass media. I start off with photo references as a template for my portraits, but then drop them halfway through the painting, often changing the sitter’s hair color and physical attributes altogether. I don’t adhere to the historical notion of the portrait, where the portrait has to be pleasing to the sitter or the patron to be deemed successful. For me, the sitter is a character that I use to help illustrate my narratives. There’s a lot more freedom when you remove the pressure of reproducing what already exists. I guess there’s no real payoff for modeling for one of my paintings, but I do appreciate the blueprints.
- New Celeb Couple: Dustin Lance Black and Tom Daley
- Op-ed: Straight Teen Girls Can Change the World
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- Op-ed: How a Symbol Changed Hearts and Minds
- The Daily Show's Gaywatch, Feat. Ian McKellen, Rick Santorum, and Cardinal Dolan
- Bringing Diversity to the Digital Realm
- Entertainment News Knockout Game: Don Lemon Manhandled By Black Belt Rabbi on CNN 29 min 56 sec ago
- Travel An American in Dublin: Exploring Gay Life Over the Rainbow 49 min 25 sec ago
- Parenting Israel Set to Grant Gay Men Adoption Tax Benefits 1 hour 1 min ago
- Sports Croatia Proves Why It Has The Hottest Men's Water Polo Team 1 hour 2 min ago
- Arts & Entertainment Trans Game Designer Is Bringing Diversity to Digital Realm 7:00 AM
- Acceptance Matters Op-ed: Creator of Red Equal Sign on Why It Mattered 6:05 AM
- Daily Dose You Think You’re Worried? 5:00 AM