Artist Spotlight: Timothy Cummings
BY Christopher Harrity
February 23 2013 5:00 AM ET
Timothy Cummings was graced with knowing what his direction would be from an early age, and parents who sported his artistic endeavors. Their support included acceptance of his dressing in girl's clothing and playing with dolls. He tried to drop out of High School in Albuquerque where he grew up, only to be lured back with a scholarship to art school. His art school education lasted for 12 days.
Cummings is an autodidact, having spent hours in the library studying the techniques and works of earlier artists. He moved to San Francisco to continue his craft and became involved with a group of artists who set up their own exhibitions to promote their work.
Cummings' work is more polished now and the details of his paintings are exquisite. He is a successful artist that shows nationally. He has a fascination with period detail and costumes. His children have 5 o'clock shadows and his adults have doll's bodies. Both seem to have wounds of experience and dark knowledge.
For more about Cummings, see his web site.
Sources: Annie Tucker, “The Art of Timothy Cummings,” Juxtapoz, September/October 1999
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- WATCH: Rep. Polis's Epic Blowup on House Floor Over Immigration
- WATCH: Colo. Baker Who Refused Gay Wedding Cake Appears In Court
- Op-ed: Stop Judging Tom Daley and Dustin Lance Black
- WATCH: Bill O'Reilly's 'War on Christmas' Led By Abortionists and Married Gays
- Morrissey's Gay Relationship Scrubbed From U.S. Edition of Autobiography
- Women WATCH: Lesbians Explain How Lesbians Have Sex - with Visual Aids! 43 min 31 sec ago
- Travel Why Travelers Love Palm Springs Airport 1 hour 7 min ago
- Travel Turkish Bazaar Opening on Vegas Strip 1 hour 29 min ago
- Women WATCH: Nurse: 3D is the Epic Lesbian Exploitation Hospital Thriller of the Year! 1 hour 46 min ago
- No More Bullying WATCH: It Gets Better Speaks to Russian LGBT Youth 2 hours 7 min ago
- World News LGBT Rights Are 'Essential Part' of U.S. Foreign Policy, Says Susan Rice 2 hours 25 min ago
- Marriage Equality Judge Expected to Rule on Utah Marriage Ban Early Next Year 2 hours 40 min ago