Artist Spotlight: Eugene Jansson
BY Christopher Harrity
March 09 2013 6:00 AM ET
Above: A pre-1907 night landscape
And while we may look at this sharp turn in subject matter, Jansson's relationship with Hyman, and Jansson's growing time spent at the gymnasium and bath house as a fair indiction of open homosexuality, it was not commonly known information.
Art historians and critics often avoid the issue of any possible homoerotic tendencies in male nude art. They toe the line about classicism and the male ideal. But Jansson was apparently so comfortable with his naked gymnast and sailor models that he painted a self-portrait at the bath house — although he was completely clothed and the other members were nude. This self portrait looks prim and detached, but there are photographs of Jansson nude and participating in the exercises that show a very healthy and fit middle-aged man with an admirable physique.
- Another Gay Man Attacked in New York City
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination
- LGBT-Inclusive Immigration Reform Good As Dead, Say Advocates
- Florida Teen Facing Sex Offender Charge For Consensual Same-Sex Relationship
- The Miseducation of Destin Holmes
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Music WATCH: Is This the Worst Music Video Ever? 2 min 3 sec ago
- Marriage Equality French Marriage Equality Opponent Commits Suicide at Notre Dame 3 min 34 sec ago
- Politics Democratic 'Betrayal' Leaves Binational LGBT Families Stranded 14 min 56 sec ago
- Travel Peace Corps Opens to Same-Sex Couples 30 min 9 sec ago
- Commentary Why it's Time to Stop Stigmatizing Haitians 44 min 2 sec ago
- Health and Treatments Is There Such a Thing as HIV-Negative AIDS? 46 min 42 sec ago
- Religion Church of Scotland to Allow Gay Ministers 58 min 31 sec ago