Artist Spotlight: Ashley Kolodner
BY Christopher Harrity
May 04 2013 4:04 AM ET
Ashley K, queer/open
Ashley Kolodner is an artist and activist specializing in still photography. She was born in Washington, D.C., and graduated with a BA in commercial photography from the Brooks Institute of Photography in Santa Barbara, Calif. After graduating, Ashley traveled the U.S., living in Los Angeles, San Diego, Washington, and finally settling in Brooklyn, N.Y., with her pit bull Billie Holiday.
Ashley believes that her lifelong love of art in all of its forms, especially collage, ceramics, fashion, painting, glass blowing, and music, has informed her unique style of photography. Ashley has photographed the likes of Nas, Damien Marley, Mayer Hawthorne, and Nipsy Hustle, among others. Her work has been featured in numerous magazines, newspapers, galleries, and shows, including Toronto Fashion Week. Ashley’s work was featured in Photographer’s Forum’s Best of Photography 2011.
- 7 Immediate Examples of Backlash to Indiana's 'Religious Freedom'
- Trans Teen Activist, Former Homecoming King, Dies in Charlotte, N.C.
- Gov. Mike Pence Just Gave Indiana a 'License to Discriminate'
- 12 Celebrities Who Said the “F” Word
- Michigan Woman Sues Planet Fitness Over Trans-Inclusive Locker Room
- #TBT: The Massive, Masculine Art of Robert Riggs