Artist Spotlight: Brian Moss
BY Christopher Harrity
June 01 2013 4:00 AM ET
Above: Brian Moss today. Below: Moss in the '80s and '90s.
Photographer Brian Moss is in a unique position. He is inside a guarded society and an observer at the same time. His point of view varies between promoter, documentarian, and photographer of the outrageous.
In his words:
"In 1982, I opened Better Bodies Gym in New York City. My gym quickly attracted local bodybuilders, and I became an active participant in the birth of women’s bodybuilding and the growth of men’s bodybuilding. Many of these bodybuilders remain close friends, and my experience with them has afforded me a level of trust and intimacy that they do not usually allow, let alone with a camera.
"In 1997, I picked up a camera for the first time since childhood and casually started to photograph the leading competitors in the bodybuilding and fitness world. My images are unguarded, honest, and voyeuristic. Whether they capture backstage scenes at the Mr. Olympia or private moments in a hotel room hours before the competitor steps out on stage, these images are imbued with an intimacy that had never been seen before.
"Many of my photographs of bodybuilders shot for advertising campaigns have become iconic and have influenced the way bodybuilders are now portrayed in ads."
Click through for a portfolio of his work.
- Television First Look: OITNB Season 2 43 min 48 sec ago
- Transgender 'Tranny Awards' Changes Its Name, Not Its Nature 1 hour 14 min ago
- Love and Sex WATCH: 20 Strangers Kiss for the First Time 1 hour 16 min ago
- Women Why You Need to See Demi Lovato's Neon Lights Tour STAT 1 hour 22 min ago
- Marriage Equality Young Repubs Express Big Support for Marriage Equality 1 hour 42 min ago
- Television Teen Wolf Adds Gay Character, Expands Lacrosse Team 1 hour 46 min ago
- Women 5 Reasons to Watch CW's Arrow and 'Quiver!' 1 hour 46 min ago