Artist Spotlight: Brian Moss
BY Christopher Harrity
June 01 2013 3:00 AM ET
Above: Brian Moss today. Below: Moss in the '80s and '90s.
Photographer Brian Moss is in a unique position. He is inside a guarded society and an observer at the same time. His point of view varies between promoter, documentarian, and photographer of the outrageous.
In his words:
"In 1982, I opened Better Bodies Gym in New York City. My gym quickly attracted local bodybuilders, and I became an active participant in the birth of women’s bodybuilding and the growth of men’s bodybuilding. Many of these bodybuilders remain close friends, and my experience with them has afforded me a level of trust and intimacy that they do not usually allow, let alone with a camera.
"In 1997, I picked up a camera for the first time since childhood and casually started to photograph the leading competitors in the bodybuilding and fitness world. My images are unguarded, honest, and voyeuristic. Whether they capture backstage scenes at the Mr. Olympia or private moments in a hotel room hours before the competitor steps out on stage, these images are imbued with an intimacy that had never been seen before.
"Many of my photographs of bodybuilders shot for advertising campaigns have become iconic and have influenced the way bodybuilders are now portrayed in ads."
Click through for a portfolio of his work.
- Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful Christmas Lights
- Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination, Judge Rules
- WATCH: Elton John Slams 'Inhumane, Isolating' Anti-LGBT Laws In Russia
- WATCH: Pastor Rick Warren's Orwellian 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality
- Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey
- Op-ed: Stop Judging Tom Daley and Dustin Lance Black
- World News PHOTOS: Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful New Lights 1:47 AM
- Travel Wedding Bells Ring Down Under December 07 2013 3:33 PM
- Religion WATCH: Rick Warren's 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality December 07 2013 3:32 PM
- Entertainment News Macklemore & Ryan Lewis Score 7 Grammy Nominations December 07 2013 1:32 PM
- Marriage Equality Washington's Weddings Were 17 Percent Gay Last Year December 07 2013 8:00 AM
- Marriage Equality Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination December 07 2013 7:00 AM
- Art In the Galleries: Transformer December 07 2013 4:00 AM