Artist Spotlight: Jamil Hellu
BY Christopher Harrity
June 08 2013 3:00 AM ET
With Jamil Hellu's series “Guardians of the Golden Gate,” he invites his subjects to create fictitious superhero characters, providing them the opportunity to express themselves led by their own imagination. By putting together specific costumes, each individual constructs a unique character inspired by personal ideas around mythology and archetypal superheroes.
This work is about creativity and role-playing as much as it is about manifesting interpretations of identity, particularly as it relates to self-representation in photography.
As each individual invents a distinctive character to be photographed, the camera becomes an instrument of escapism, offering people to opportunity to create their own fantasy self.
Click through from more of Hellu's Guardians.
- Women WATCH: Ellen Will Tell You if She and Portia Are Getting Divorced! 25 min 6 sec ago
- Media Game of Thrones Video Game Announced 30 min 26 sec ago
- World News Putin Slams 'Genderless, Fruitless Tolerance' 36 min 24 sec ago
- Travel PHOTOS: Whet Your Appetite for Gay Polo's Biggest Event 37 min 49 sec ago
- The Wedding Channel Coast Guard Academy Sees First Same-Sex Engagement Announcement 41 min 38 sec ago
- Television Behind The Candelabra Leads Golden Globes' TV Awards With 4 Noms 1 hour 25 min ago
- Comedy WATCH: Billy Eichner and Amy Poehler Have Aggressive Christmas Spirit 11:17 AM