Artist Spotlight: Darren Jones
BY Christopher Harrity
August 10 2013 3:00 AM ET
"Eden’s Remains" is a material, conceptualized essay on the disparate fortunes undergone by gay men living over the past five decades in the Fire Island Pines. The Pines, as most people call it, is a place of remarkable natural beauty as well as one of metropolitan New York’s favorite summer resorts. Scottish artist Darren Jones suggests that, the greatest role the Pines has assumed in the wider world of art, culture, and history is as a barometer and a sort of cultural ground-zero to the ever-evolving experience – both celebratory and somber – of gay life.
Jones pokes at the expectations and rituals on the Island, but without anger or judgment. In "Eden’s Remains", Jones's light touch keeps the wistful and memorial from becoming maudlin.
New works by Darren Jones August 16 – 31, 2013
Opening reception Thursday, August 15, 2013, from 6 to 8 p.m.
Illuminated Metropolis Gallery
547 West 27th St, Suite 529, New York NY 10001
Hours - Fri. 1-5 p.m. / Sat. 12-6 p.m. — and by appointment
Flotsam and Jetsam, 2012
Merchandised items from Fire Island weekend
A collection of objects presented according to retail display techniques, giving a window into the items that might contribute to a Fire Island weekend, or be discarded after one.
Click through for more of Darren Jones's work >>>
- Women 17 Reasons to Swoon Over Androgynous Model Harmony Boucher December 12 2013 8:48 PM
- Travel WestJet Showers Fliers With Holiday Gifts December 12 2013 8:18 PM
- Television 5 Reasons to Plug In to Masters of Sex December 12 2013 7:22 PM
- Travel VIDEO: Travel Helps People Live Longer, Says Study December 12 2013 6:35 PM
- Music WATCH: Melissa Etheridge Debuts Song to Help Gay Russians December 12 2013 6:08 PM
- Religion WATCH: Lesbian Friend Might Convert Kids, Warns Robertson December 12 2013 6:03 PM
- Women 3 Gay Lady-Related Golden Globe Nominations that Make Us Happy! December 12 2013 4:20 PM