Artist Spotlight: Darren Jones
BY Christopher Harrity
August 10 2013 4:00 AM ET
Digital image and effects
7" x 6"
Muscular body culture, known as the "Chelsea look" is ubiquitous in the Pines. Love it or hate it, it is an undeniable currency in Fire Island. It contributes to the politics of desire and self worth. Often, reaching such a level of physical masculinity oneself, or attracting it, can seem a distant possibility. Here the colored sunspots and refracted light in the image lend a sense of fantasy or aura, to the sanctioned, gay male, ideal presented. The spelling of the title of this work again offers a double meaning.
- Boys Wear Skirts to Class in Protest After School Fines Trans Girl for Wearing Skirt
- Gay Artists & Artwork From Around the Globe | Artist Spotlight
- Op-ed: Gay Voice Is Ruining Lives
- WATCH: Straight Dad Punched For Calling Out Woman's Antigay Slurs
- Catholics: Antigay Leaders Get Boot, a Progressive Becomes American Archbishop
- The 50 Most Influential LGBT People in Media