Artist Spotlight: Darren Jones
BY Christopher Harrity
August 10 2013 4:00 AM ET
Digital image and effects
7" x 6"
Muscular body culture, known as the "Chelsea look" is ubiquitous in the Pines. Love it or hate it, it is an undeniable currency in Fire Island. It contributes to the politics of desire and self worth. Often, reaching such a level of physical masculinity oneself, or attracting it, can seem a distant possibility. Here the colored sunspots and refracted light in the image lend a sense of fantasy or aura, to the sanctioned, gay male, ideal presented. The spelling of the title of this work again offers a double meaning.
- Texas Gay Man, 32, Dies in Custody After Being Denied Medication
- Iowa Couple Plans 1,000 Antigay Billboards
- The True Meaning of the Word 'Cisgender'
- 10 Tips on Growing Older for LGBT People Under 40
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- I Am Jazz: 14, Transgender, and the Star of My Own Docu-series