Artist Spotlight: Darren Jones
BY Christopher Harrity
August 10 2013 3:00 AM ET
Digital image and effects
7" x 6"
Muscular body culture, known as the "Chelsea look" is ubiquitous in the Pines. Love it or hate it, it is an undeniable currency in Fire Island. It contributes to the politics of desire and self worth. Often, reaching such a level of physical masculinity oneself, or attracting it, can seem a distant possibility. Here the colored sunspots and refracted light in the image lend a sense of fantasy or aura, to the sanctioned, gay male, ideal presented. The spelling of the title of this work again offers a double meaning.
- Women Who the F Is … California Politico Toni Atkins? 19 min 25 sec ago
- Women Who the F Is … California Politico Toni Atkins? 25 min 46 sec ago
- Women Op-ed: Why We Need International Women's Day 29 min 17 sec ago
- Books Lambda Literary Awards: Leavitt, Bianchi, Winterson Nominated 37 min 20 sec ago
- Women 19 Reasons to Swoon Over Androgynous Model Saskia de Brauw 53 min 58 sec ago
- Television Scott Bakula, Looking's Gay Daddy, Talks About Quantum Leap & His Favorite Flower 55 min 10 sec ago
- Travel WATCH: Jeff Koons, John Waters Discuss Art 1 hour 7 min ago