Artist Spotlight: Darren Jones
BY Christopher Harrity
August 10 2013 3:00 AM ET
Digital image and effects
7" x 6"
Muscular body culture, known as the "Chelsea look" is ubiquitous in the Pines. Love it or hate it, it is an undeniable currency in Fire Island. It contributes to the politics of desire and self worth. Often, reaching such a level of physical masculinity oneself, or attracting it, can seem a distant possibility. Here the colored sunspots and refracted light in the image lend a sense of fantasy or aura, to the sanctioned, gay male, ideal presented. The spelling of the title of this work again offers a double meaning.
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- 5 James Baldwin Quotes That Foreshadowed Ferguson
- Art on the Edge in a Warm Climate
- U.S. Issues First Response to Gambia's New 'Jail-the-Gays' Law
- Another Lap for Michael Phelps’s Self-Proclaimed Girlfriend
- Texas AG: Same-Sex Couples' Request to Marry 'Untimely, Out of Order'