Artist Spotlight: Blake Little
BY Christopher Harrity
September 21 2013 3:02 AM ET
Pete Los Angeles, 2011
Blake Little was born and raised in Seattle. After studying for three years at the University of Washington, Blake transferred to Seattle Central College, where he completed his photography degree in 1984. After college, Blake moved to Los Angeles and became part of the vibrant 1980s Los Angeles art scene. Blake’s outstanding artist portrait series, which included David Hockney, John Baldessari, and Ed Ruscha, lead to commercial assignments in the entertainment industry.
Little has worked with Tom Cruise, Mike Myers, Jeff Bridges, Julianne Moore, Steve Carell, Samuel L. Jackson, Gwyneth Paltrow, Aaron Eckhart, Marcia Cross, Colin Powell, k.d. lang, 50 Cent, Glenn Close, Jane Fonda, Jack Black, Adrien Brody, and Jane Lynch, among others. He has photographed for such publications as London Times Magazine, Entertainment Weekly, People Magazine, Time, Los Angeles Magazine, and ESPN the Magazine. Little is a longtime collaborator with The Advocate and has created many memorable cover images.
Little’s work has been exhibited in New York, Seattle, Los Angeles, and Japan and has resulted in three monographs: his first book, Dichotomy, in 1997; The Company of Men in September 2011; and Manifest in 2013.
"Blake Little Photographs: Gay Rodeo 1988-1992" opens at the Eiteljorg Museum in January 2014. "New West: Photographs of Cowboys and Western Culture" is scheduled to open the Glenbow Museum in Alberta, Canada, in 2014.
For more about Manifest: MANIFEST BLAKE LITTLE
- Bobby Jindal Is Mad No One Thought Phil Robertson Was Funny
- The Advocate's Person of the Year: Pope Francis
- New Mexico Supreme Court Declares Statewide Marriage Equality
- Figure Skater Brian Boitano Comes Out
- Reality Star Marksman Chris Cheng Comes Out
- Op-ed: Pope Francis Has Not Made Good on Transgender Rights
- Holiday Gifts for Everyone 27 Awesome Gifts for Entertainment Buffs 4:00 AM
- Entertainment News WATCH: Ellen DeGeneres' First Trailer for the Oscars December 19 2013 11:06 PM
- Travel Futuristic Vegas Nightclub Goes Gay December 19 2013 8:42 PM
- Obituaries Washington Marriage Equality Opponent Dies December 19 2013 8:10 PM
- Film Paul Rudd Set to Star in Marvel Comics Ant-Man Film December 19 2013 7:08 PM
- Entertainment News Reality Star Marksman Chris Cheng Comes Out December 19 2013 6:36 PM
- Travel Out Traveler Award Winner: Best Hotel Chain December 19 2013 6:33 PM