Artist Spotlight: Taylor Smith
BY Christopher Harrity
March 08 2014 4:00 AM ET
Faster Pussycat! … Love, Love! 24" x 24"; oil, acrylic, and pencil on canvas
Tell us about the paintings you create involving women?
I often alternate between painting imagined self-portraits and portraits of those women I have had significant relationships with. In many of the works, I will obscure the face to draw the viewer in closer as they attempt to understand what is missing and fill in the empty spaces on their own. I also feel that painting the female figure more loosely allows for greater exploration, not only by myself but also on the part of the viewer. There are questions to be answered and the uncomfortable space creates an underlying tension, often a sexual tension, and that is really what I am hoping to achieve. Most of us experience that sexual tension when we are with someone who fascinates us. I want my paintings of women to fascinate and create emotion.
- WATCH: Obama Bundler, HRC Founder Terry Bean Arrested on Sex Crimes Charges
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Smoke Signals' Gay Actor Turned Doctor Lands New Career-Defining Role
- 6 Bad Signs of a Good Relationship
- These 48 Trans Women and Men Changed the World
- Transgender Pioneer and Stone Butch Blues Author Leslie Feinberg Has Died