A Russian Valentine
BY Advocate.com Editors
February 13 2014 8:00 AM ET
Anna Yereinova and Maria Feodorva
Little information available on this late-19th-century lesbian couple was to be found. Nonetheless, they seemed highly inspirational on several accounts. Anna Yevreinova was the first Russian woman to obtain a law degree (University of Leipzig). She and her lover, Maria Feodorova (an author), founded and ran the journal The Northern Herald. They both fought for the women's rights and they lived together as a couple, an arrangement that defied the customs of the time.
The image is inspired by real lesbian couples of the times, in which is was common to see one of the women using men's garb, in this case Feodorova. Yevreinova is dressed in a way that reminds us of the suffragist movement in England in the beginning of the 20th century.
With these images and the project in general we intended on the intimacy of the couple, from a subtle touch to a kiss. We wanted to minimize the sexual innuendos without effacing it. Since a lot of the homophobic policies are based on the idea of traditional family values and reproduction and fertility, it was important to show that gay couples are like any other, and they as well can be the nucleus from which a family is formed.
- Op-ed: The Lasting Impact of Out TV Teens on LGBT Youth
- WATCH: Rachel Maddow Blasts Critics of Obama's Funny or Die Interview
- Hot Sheet: A New Quiver
- Boston: Major Beer Sponsor Pulls Out of St. Pat's Parade
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- This Is How Every Parent Should Respond After Their 13-Year-Old Comes Out
- Theater Injury Sidelines Christopher Sieber in Matilda 1 hour 41 min ago
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Hernan Marina 2 hours 40 min ago
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: A New Quiver March 14 2014 7:30 PM
- Travel State Department: Russia is Dangerous for All Americans March 14 2014 6:55 PM
- Women The 31 Most Eligible Out Women of 2014 March 14 2014 6:41 PM
- Marriage Equality Judge: Tenn. Must Recognize Three Same-Sex Marriages March 14 2014 6:39 PM
- Film Is Terence Davies' The Long Day Closes the Greatest Gay Film Ever Made? March 14 2014 5:30 PM