Artist Spotlight: Gio Black Peter
BY Christopher Harrity
December 17 2011 4:00 AM ET
Gio Black Peter (born Giovanni Andrade Paolo Guevara) is a New York-based performance artist as well as an ardent visual artist. He examines text and subject, truth and fakery, rebellion and authority.
His subversive work quickly earned him a name in the downtown New York scene of young emerging artists who participate in today's dialogue about the deconstruction of high profile, white box presentation and the desire to raise art awareness. At the core of Black Peter's thinking is the idea that the life of art depends on the viewer’s willingness to suspend his or her rational thoughts and play into the believability of lies and realistic falsehoods. Familiarity and a seductive aesthetic draw the viewer back to Black Peter’s art — a visceral exploration of vulnerability and self-reflection.
Since 2007, Gio Black Peter has performed and exhibited work worldwide, including New York, Berlin, Madrid, Milan, Bergen, London, Antwerp, Tokyo, and Paris. He has also appeared as an actor in James Bolton's film Eban and Charley (2001) and Bruce LaBruce's film Otto; or, Up with Dead People (2008). He continues to grow and develop his range as an artist.
"I Fought in a War," a solo exhibition of new work on canvas. BrianRiley1 ProjectSpace, New York City, February
Gio Black Peter New York Artist: A documentary by Manuel M Mercier. Release date TBA 2012.
Don't Tell Me Nothing ft. Strobo Monsters: Music video directed by CyCy Sanderrs. Release date December 2011.
Below: Gio Black Peter performs "Pope Sex"
- Film Kidnapped for Christ to Premiere at Slamdance 48 min 17 sec ago
- Acceptance Matters Op-ed: Separate or Together? 1 hour 47 min ago
- Day in LGBT America PHOTOS: Just Another Day at Work in LGBT America 1 hour 48 min ago
- Arts & Entertainment PHOTOS: We Asked The Stars, Who Is Your Hero? 2 hours 18 min ago
- Music WATCH: The Best (and Not So Best) of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music 5:00 AM
- Women New Family Ties: Meredith Baxter Marries Nancy Locke December 09 2013 8:01 PM
- Travel Spider-Man Will Welcome In 2014 In Times Square December 09 2013 7:52 PM