Artist Spotlight: Michael Petry
BY Christopher Harrity
March 17 2012 2:00 AM ET
In Hindu creation myths the god Shiva is traditionally depicted as a lingam.The lingams take the shape of a phallus and are linked to fertility as well as good luck. Practitioners often touch the top (head) of the lingam daily in home shrines for good luck and make offerings of flowers, milk and oils in temples. The complimentary object and sexuality, the yoni represents the goddess Shakti. Lingams have traditionally been made from stone, wood, metal and are also seen in natural formations and have been worshiped for thousands of years.
My lingams are shown in groups as well as on their own, and take many forms, as with traditional depictions. — M.P.
- Michael Sam Passed Over By Every NFL Team
- WATCH: Cute Gay Teen Explains Homosexuality and the Bible
- WATCH: 'Christian' Family's Terrifying Response to Son Coming Out
- San Francisco Mourns Death of Legendary Drag Performer
- Britney Spears Heartfelt Letter to Once Suicidal Gay Fan
- Have We Got Matthew Shepard All Wrong?