Artist Spotlight: Michael Petry
BY Christopher Harrity
March 17 2012 2:00 AM ET
In Hindu creation myths the god Shiva is traditionally depicted as a lingam.The lingams take the shape of a phallus and are linked to fertility as well as good luck. Practitioners often touch the top (head) of the lingam daily in home shrines for good luck and make offerings of flowers, milk and oils in temples. The complimentary object and sexuality, the yoni represents the goddess Shakti. Lingams have traditionally been made from stone, wood, metal and are also seen in natural formations and have been worshiped for thousands of years.
My lingams are shown in groups as well as on their own, and take many forms, as with traditional depictions. — M.P.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- The Wedding Channel PHOTOS: A Mass-Wedding First in Maryland 28 min 34 sec ago
- Entertainment News How To Take Down An Anti-Gay 'Victim' 46 min 50 sec ago
- Arts & Entertainment PHOTOS: Perez Hilton Vs. Inflatable Alligator 53 min 27 sec ago
- Entertainment News One Direction: Caught Twerking—and in Calvins 1 hour 8 min ago
- Entertainment News Need to Know: Alabama’s All-Male Cheerleading Squad 1 hour 19 min ago
- Sports National Gay & Lesbian Sports Hall of Fame’s First Class Announced 1 hour 47 min ago
- Arts & Entertainment Did Chris Colfer Get Arrested? 1 hour 53 min ago