Artist Spotlight: Michael Petry
BY Christopher Harrity
March 17 2012 2:00 AM ET
In Hindu creation myths the god Shiva is traditionally depicted as a lingam.The lingams take the shape of a phallus and are linked to fertility as well as good luck. Practitioners often touch the top (head) of the lingam daily in home shrines for good luck and make offerings of flowers, milk and oils in temples. The complimentary object and sexuality, the yoni represents the goddess Shakti. Lingams have traditionally been made from stone, wood, metal and are also seen in natural formations and have been worshiped for thousands of years.
My lingams are shown in groups as well as on their own, and take many forms, as with traditional depictions. — M.P.
- Gay Artists & Artwork From Around the Globe | Artist Spotlight
- Facebook Apologizes for 'Real Name' Policy
- The New 'Republicans Are People Too' Twitter Campaign Is An Epic Fail
- Everything You Need to Know So Far About Marriage Equality in Utah
- California Becomes First State to Ban Gay, Trans 'Panic' Defenses
- #TBT: Greetings, Gents