WATCH: Behind the Scenes on BearCity 2
BY Gerald McCullouch
July 25 2012 5:00 AM ET
Prior to moving up to P’town for the initial leg of our shoot, we had a table read at the NYC production office with a few of the newer cast members and a few of us BearCity veterans. A table read is pretty much what it sounds like. It gives the director and production team (assistant directors, producers, director of photography, and more) an opportunity to hear the story as the actors sit around a table and read the script.
In BearCity 2: The Proposal, as gay marriage has passed in New York, I propose to my young love Tyler (Joe Conti) and we take our rockin’ fuzzy gang to P’town for a wedding during its infamous BearWeek. The wedding provides the perfect occasion to open up the cast, and we’re delighted to have Richard Riehle and Susie Mosher on board to play Tyler’s parents. And we’re wickedly ecstatic to have Kathy Najimy on board as BearCity’s own Anna Madrigal.
I’ve been a fan of the incredibly talented Susie Mosher ever since we met at a NYC cabaret night where I guest hosted and sang a little ditty promoting a play I was in called Daddy. Susie blew me away with her rendition of “Cry Me River.” Blew. Me. Away. Serendipitously, she and Kathy Najimy have been dear friends for years. Having the two of these spectacular ladies join the BearCity journey is kismet at play.
Below is a short video I made of the table read when Susie and Kathy first met those of us able to attend and welcome them on board. And rather appropriately, another short “G Movie” I made two years prior of the very first day the cast of BearCity came together on the streets of NYC to film the final scene of the film outside the iconic NYC bar, The Ramrod (immediately before it underwent it’s evolution into Rock Bar). Enjoy.
GERALD McCULLOUCH is an award-winning filmmaker best known for playing Bobby Dawson on CSI for 10 seasons and for his starring role in the hit gay indie BearCity. Last year he was honored by Out magazine as one of the Out 100. His production company, Hard G Productions, currently has a spectrum of projects including All Male All Nude (a feature documentary and series on one of America's all-male, all-nude gay strip clubs), an animated feature titled Froggot, a stage adaptation of Robert Fulghum's All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten, and the film version of the hit play Daddy. Follow Gerald on Twitter @ItsAHardG. BearCity 2 is on Twitter at @BearCity and online at http://www.bearcity2.com.
The movie plays at The Castro in San Francisco on July 29.
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill He Helped Kill
- Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay
- Fox's Newest Cop Comedy Is Quietly Breaking Ground
- Trans Woman Sues CrossFit After Being Told to Compete in Men's Division
- Television 15 Most Ridiculous Real Housewives Taglines Ever 27 min 40 sec ago
- Arts & Entertainment 10 Things We Learned from Neil Patrick Harris 32 min 50 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Houston's Lesbian Mayor Reveals 'The Gay Agenda' 1 hour 50 min ago
- Marriage Equality Oregon Republicans Support Marriage Equality 2 hours 29 min ago
- Uganda Ugandans Challenge 'Jail the Gays' Law in Court 2 hours 36 min ago
- Travel Melissa Etheridge Performing Russian Anthem at Toronto WorldPride 2 hours 59 min ago
- Television Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay 1:39 PM