WATCH: Behind the Scenes on BearCity 2
BY Gerald McCullouch
July 25 2012 4:00 AM ET
Prior to moving up to P’town for the initial leg of our shoot, we had a table read at the NYC production office with a few of the newer cast members and a few of us BearCity veterans. A table read is pretty much what it sounds like. It gives the director and production team (assistant directors, producers, director of photography, and more) an opportunity to hear the story as the actors sit around a table and read the script.
In BearCity 2: The Proposal, as gay marriage has passed in New York, I propose to my young love Tyler (Joe Conti) and we take our rockin’ fuzzy gang to P’town for a wedding during its infamous BearWeek. The wedding provides the perfect occasion to open up the cast, and we’re delighted to have Richard Riehle and Susie Mosher on board to play Tyler’s parents. And we’re wickedly ecstatic to have Kathy Najimy on board as BearCity’s own Anna Madrigal.
I’ve been a fan of the incredibly talented Susie Mosher ever since we met at a NYC cabaret night where I guest hosted and sang a little ditty promoting a play I was in called Daddy. Susie blew me away with her rendition of “Cry Me River.” Blew. Me. Away. Serendipitously, she and Kathy Najimy have been dear friends for years. Having the two of these spectacular ladies join the BearCity journey is kismet at play.
Below is a short video I made of the table read when Susie and Kathy first met those of us able to attend and welcome them on board. And rather appropriately, another short “G Movie” I made two years prior of the very first day the cast of BearCity came together on the streets of NYC to film the final scene of the film outside the iconic NYC bar, The Ramrod (immediately before it underwent it’s evolution into Rock Bar). Enjoy.
GERALD McCULLOUCH is an award-winning filmmaker best known for playing Bobby Dawson on CSI for 10 seasons and for his starring role in the hit gay indie BearCity. Last year he was honored by Out magazine as one of the Out 100. His production company, Hard G Productions, currently has a spectrum of projects including All Male All Nude (a feature documentary and series on one of America's all-male, all-nude gay strip clubs), an animated feature titled Froggot, a stage adaptation of Robert Fulghum's All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten, and the film version of the hit play Daddy. Follow Gerald on Twitter @ItsAHardG. BearCity 2 is on Twitter at @BearCity and online at http://www.bearcity2.com.
The movie plays at The Castro in San Francisco on July 29.
- New Celeb Couple: Dustin Lance Black and Tom Daley
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- WATCH: Jared Leto on Avoiding Trans Character 'Cliché' for 'Dallas Buyers Club'
- Op-ed: Straight Teen Girls Can Change the World
- Russia's High Court Declares 'Gay Propaganda' Ban Constitutional
- Op-ed: How a Symbol Changed Hearts and Minds
- Entertainment News Bill Hader Wanted Stefon's Goodbye to Be Emotional 51 min 57 sec ago
- Women 13 Reasons to Let AHS: Coven Cast A Spell on You -- in GIFs 1 hour 5 min ago
- Sports You Can Play and NFL Team Up With LGBT Youth 2 hours 4 min ago
- Entertainment News Gay Men's Chorus of Los Angeles Performs Parody of Joe Boxer Christmas Ad 2 hours 5 min ago
- Women WATCH: Sara Gilbert on the Pressure for People Like Maria Bello to Come Out 2 hours 24 min ago
- Women Ms. Fit: A Lesbian-Friendly, Feminist Fitness Mag for All Women 2 hours 54 min ago
- Women Who Was Broadway Producer and Lesbian Cheryl Crawford? 2:41 PM