Seat Filler: The Advocate's Guide to New York Theater
BY Brandon Voss
December 22 2011 4:00 AM ET
An Evening With Patti LuPone and Mandy Patinkin
Between a dour “Another Hundred People” opening and a dreary Carousel medley finale, LuPone and Patinkin have a little fun with a romantic song selection heavy on Sondheim, Kander and Ebb — two 70, Girls, 70 numbers! — and Rodgers and Hammerstein. It’s a surreal treat to see LuPone roll around on an office chair, but only die-hard fans need attend; one hoping for greatest hits may be disappointed with all but a brief Evita reunion.
Ethel Barrymore Theatre, through January 13.
Wild Animals You Should Know
Helmed by out director Trip Cullman, MCC’s comely staging of Thomas Higgins’s unsettling and uneven dark comedy goes camping with indiscriminately attention-seeking sociopath Matt (Jay Armstrong Johnson) and openly gay geek Jacob (Gideon Glick), teen Boy Scouts whose sexual exploration — “I’m not gay; you just give good head,” Matt tells lovesick Jacob — leads to the ruthless outing of a gay scoutmaster (John Behlmann).
Lucille Lortel Theatre, closed December 11.
- Op-ed: Don't Worry, Tom Daley's Getting Biphobic Tweets, Too
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- Op-ed: Stop Judging Tom Daley and Dustin Lance Black
- Russia's High Court Declares 'Gay Propaganda' Ban Constitutional
- WATCH: Jared Leto on Avoiding Trans Character 'Cliché' for 'Dallas Buyers Club'
- Op-ed: Straight Teen Girls Can Change the World
- Entertainment News Listen to The Sound Of Music Live Soundtrack with Carrie Underwood 26 min 47 sec ago
- Travel Berlin's Best Neighborhoods: A Primer 31 min 52 sec ago
- Entertainment News James Franco Teases 50 Shades of Batman & Robin 1 hour 18 min ago
- Entertainment News Tom Daley: 'It Really Was Love at First Sight' 1 hour 24 min ago
- Sports WATCH: The Best From 6 Olympic Gay Divers 7:04 AM
- Commentary Op-ed: Stop Judging Tom Daley and Dustin Lance Black 6:00 AM
- Bisexual Op-ed: Don't Worry, Tom Daley's Getting Biphobic Tweets, Too 5:00 AM