Nick Jonas: Stage Brother
BY Brandon Voss
January 18 2012 2:30 AM ET
Did anyone explain to you that some boys like boys and some girls like girls?
I donâ€™t think that conversation needed to be had. I was totally aware, I understood what it meant, and I was totally fine with it. It didnâ€™t confuse me, because I knew it was all about love. I was raised in a really open home where the policy was love.
Yet it was an evangelical Christian home, and your father was a preacher.
My upbringing was faith-based, but we believed you should love all others as you want to be loved, because everyone should be treated equally. Thatâ€™s helped me have an understanding of people on different journeys and in different walks of life. At the end of the day, weâ€™re all the same, because we all want to be loved. As long as love as the key, weâ€™re in good shape.
When a number of LGBT blogs posted pictures of you hugging antigay Saddleback Church pastor Rick Warren in 2010, some readers wondered if you might share his beliefs on issues like gay marriage.
My friends are my friends, and people that Iâ€™m acquainted with donâ€™t necessarily share the same opinions as I do, and thatâ€™s how Iâ€™ll put that. My thoughts on gay marriage are that everyone has the right to love and be loved, and thatâ€™s the position I take.
A wholesome, conservative image has somewhat defined the Jonas Brothers; at the height of the groupâ€™s popularity, the media focused a lot on your purity rings, for example. As the three of you get older and branch out into other individual interests, would you like to distance yourself from that image?
I donâ€™t think we separate ourselves from that, but my brothers and I have come into our own as men in the past few years, and thatâ€™s played a major part in who we are and how weâ€™ve carried ourselves. Itâ€™s important for us to remember that we have values and morals, but each of us have taken the responsibility that we have as a man to be exactly who weâ€™re supposed to be, whatever that means for us as individuals. We still have a good image; however, weâ€™ve each made choices that have defined who we are as people. Iâ€™m comfortable with who I am as a man now, and Iâ€™m blessed to be in the position I am in life.
Gay boybanders and pop idols rarely come out at the height of their popularity. If a Jonas Brother came out, what impact might it have on your career?
The amazing thing about our fans is that theyâ€™re incredibly supportive about everything that we do, but I have to separate us from the equation because the three of us arenâ€™t gay. If someone in our position came out, Iâ€™d hope that support would carry over and that their fans would love them just the same.
How to Succeedâ€™s Radcliffe and Criss have both supported the Trevor Project and the It Gets Better campaign. Would you like to get involved with the cause?
Absolutely. Once I join the show, I plan to do all I can on a few different efforts, including Trevor Project and Broadway Cares/Equity Fights AIDS. I want to inspire all young people, whether theyâ€™re diabetic, being bullied, or just having a hard time at home. Dealing with diabetes has been tough, but Iâ€™ve also been so blessed, and I feel I can give real encouragement and inspiration to young people dealing with similar issues.
- An Exodus From the 'Ex-Gay' Movement?
- Op-ed: How My Mom Found Out About My Boyfriend
- Filipino Archbishop Says Gay Men and Lesbians Can Marry â€” Each Other
- Op-ed: How Animated Shows Like Futurama Can Unite Us All
- Martina Navratilova Blasts Russian Antigay Law
- Advocate.com | Gay News | The Advocate | The World's Leading Source for LGBT News and Entertainment
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Commentary Op-ed: How My Mom Found Out About My Boyfriend 1 hour 23 min ago
- Religion An Exodus From the 'Ex-Gay' Movement? 12:50 AM
- Entertainment News A Moment For James Gandolfini June 19 2013 11:38 PM
- Entertainment News Muscle Worship: Meet the Men of L.A.'s New Gay Strip Club June 19 2013 9:45 PM
- Religion Filipino Archbishop Says Gay Men and Lesbians Can Marry â€” Each Other June 19 2013 7:56 PM
- Travel Drag Racing in Jerusalem June 19 2013 7:20 PM
- Crime Police Seek Suspects Who Vandalized Chick-fil-A With Antigay Slurs June 19 2013 7:18 PM