Nick Jonas: Stage Brother
BY Brandon Voss
January 18 2012 2:30 AM ET
What words of encouragement do you have for the young victims of antigay bullying?
Know that there are people out there who can comfort you and give you the support that you need, so tell an authority at school or wherever it is youâ€™re being bullied. It really breaks my heart to see that. Bullying is unacceptable, and specifically with gay teens, itâ€™s just wrong. Everyone needs to realize that this is a major issue, and we need to do anything we can to help. Iâ€™ve heard so many of our gay fans speak about how one of my songs, â€śWho I Am,â€ť has inspired them. Itâ€™s a song that I wrote in a moment of coming into my own as a man, discovering how my whole world was setting up as an adult. It was great to see people connect to that song in their own way, specifically bullied gay teens who were encouraged to be exactly who they are.
As someone who was homeschooled, can you relate to feeling bullied or feeling different as a kid?
Well, I was in regular school until I was about 10 or 11, and I can specifically remember moments where my classmates didnâ€™t quite understand what I was doing every day when I would go into the city and perform on Broadway. Feeling like an outsider in that sense was so frustrating for me, because they had no way of connecting, and I couldnâ€™t connect with them either. People who are feeling bullied and people who feel like outsiders should talk to their parents and guardians about finding a place with likeminded people where they can feel accepted. Thatâ€™s what I needed and thatâ€™s what I found with musical theater.
There are also a lot of JoBros haters out there, and itâ€™s not uncommon to see you and your brothers called â€śfagsâ€ť all over the Internet. How do you handle that negativity?
First of all, that word is not one that I use, and it upsets me when people use it, but that negativity doesnâ€™t really get to me. Having haters is just a part of the business, and the more haters you have, the more people like you â€” thatâ€™s how I view it, because I try to see the positive in things. Sometimes itâ€™s so ridiculous that you just have to laugh. You just have to keep your head up and keep going.
Even a big action star like Hugh Jackman gets teased on Saturday Night Live for doing Broadway musicals.
Exactly. Yeah, Hugh Jackman is the man, and I know that guy just lifts his head up and keeps rolling. Some people can be dense and donâ€™t have the capacity to understand having culture be a part of your world. That just comes with the territory.
What can you tell me about your upcoming guest appearance on NBCâ€™s Smash?
Iâ€™m very excited about it. I play a character named Lyle West, a former Broadway kid who grows up and comes into mainstream success and a lot of money.
So itâ€™s a stretch.
[Laughs] Right. One of his old friends is the director of the show Marilyn, and he has a party for Lyle, and Angelica Hustonâ€™s character tries to get him to invest in the show. Angelica Huston is obviously a legend, so the scenes I got to do with her were really fun. The whole cast is incredible, and it was an amazing time. I also get to do a cover of a Michael BublĂ© song that Iâ€™m excited for people to hear.
Radcliffe was last seen on Broadway in Equus, which required him to be naked. If asked, would you have replaced him in that show too?
[Laughs] I love theater and I understand the difference between acting and who you are as a person. I donâ€™t know that itâ€™s something I wouldâ€™ve done in the end, but I definitely wouldâ€™ve considered it. You have to be open to everything.
- Meet the 2013 Point Foundation Scholars
- Op-ed: How Animated Shows Like Futurama Can Unite Us All
- PHOTOS: Marry Me in Maine
- Republican Wants Right to Fire LGBT Employees Who 'Work in a Tutu'
- Sen. Lisa Murkowski Endorses Marriage Equality
- Advocate.com | Gay News | The Advocate | The World's Leading Source for LGBT News and Entertainment
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Travel Drag Racing in Jerusalem 16 min 51 sec ago
- Crime Police Seek Suspects Who Vandalized Chick-fil-A With Antigay Slurs 19 min 1 sec ago
- Women Martina Navratilova, Billie Jean King Among First Inductees to Gay and Lesbian Sports Hall of Fame 45 min 46 sec ago
- Entertainment News Dolce & Gabbana Sentenced To Jail 1 hour 17 min ago
- Politicians President Obama Adresses LGBT Rights in Berlin Speech 2 hours 37 min ago
- Entertainment News Should Brazil Legalize 'Conversion' Therapy? 3:42 PM
- World News Liberal Australian MP Crosses Aisle In Support of LGBT Nondiscrimination 3:30 PM