Dressing Felicia: Costume Designer Talks Shop
BY Michelle Garcia
February 02 2012 5:00 AM ET
Interestingly enough, the flip-flop dress came from the fact that they’re going shopping in that scene, so I wanted to make a dress out of credit cards, based on... tile dresses in the '60s. I thought that would be funny, to do it with credit cards. But when we did the movie, no credit card company would come near us because we were doing a little movie about drag queens. So then we thought, flip flops are Australia’s national shoe. We can string them together in the same manner.
The budget for the stage version was considerably higher than the film. How did having a bigger budget affect your process?
The thing about musicals is that the costumes have to be built to withstand a nuclear war. They’re worn every night. The show done in Australia — the costumes were worn 1,500 times. They have to be built to last. There’s stuff in the film that only had to last one scene. For the film, we had $20,000, but we had considerably more than that for the musical.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Travel Drag Racing in Jerusalem 6 min 21 sec ago
- Entertainment News Should Brazil Legalize 'Conversion' Therapy? 28 min 10 sec ago
- World News Liberal Australian MP Crosses Aisle In Support of LGBT Nondiscrimination 40 min 4 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Hot Lesbians Don Cowboy Hats, Chaps and Spurs for Cowgirl Up 52 min 37 sec ago
- Pride PHOTOS: Marry Me in Maine 1 hour 8 min ago
- World News Brazil Lawmakers Legalize 'Ex-Gay' Therapy 1 hour 12 min ago
- Sports Navratilova Blasts Russian Antigay Law 1 hour 16 min ago